Thursday, September 01, 2005

Some thoughts on Boston

The following may become extremely mawkish, so anyone who's here for a diatribe may want to look away. We will return to the spewing of bile immediately following this announcement.

Boston. Love that dirty water, etc.

Regular reader Frank has opened a very interesting can of worms by calling Boston a "colony of fools."

And I wonder...as much as I love Boston, the big city with a small-town feel, its green spaces, its bustling business district, its arts, architecture, Olde Worlde Charme, sports teams, education options...yes, even the MBTA - with its many faults and quirks, gets us where we're going in relative ease most of the time - its museums, restaurants, and historical weight... IS IT a colony of fools?

In my 20+ years here, I have met many, many fools. I have even been a fool from time to time, more often than I care to remember. I have also met many, many fine, intelligent, interesting, fun, sweet, good-hearted, perfectly okay people. For every Mass-hole, I've met 10 people with whom I would happily share a cab, or a beer, or an afternoon. Maybe not let every one of them sleep on my couch, but you get where I'm going.

Yes, we Bostonians - I can call myself a Bostonian now, even though I wasn't born here, as I've spent a lot of years living and working here, paying my dues, voting, paying taxes, contributing to the economy, hell, I even have Red Sox season tickets - we have our quirks. The Big Dig is distressing, the layout is truly bizarre, the driving is atrocious (which leads to the rudest drivers, hands down, anywhere), the bars close too early, the Bruins haven't won a Stanley Cup in too, too long...and the Boston accent, Christ on a stick, it's truly like a rake across a chalk board and makes me think, "do these people HEAR themselves?"). But we're really a good crew, at heart.

In sum: if Boston is a colony of fools, I'm dead curious to see the Mother Ship.


We now return you to our regular programming.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Mother Ship is embarked upon a constant cruise and deposits foolish people in every port. Always has, always will. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with being a fool in my opinion. I'd rather be a self-aware fool than unexplored brainiac.

01 September, 2005 13:08  
Blogger Kristen said...

I am unapologetically, insanely, ridiculously, obscenely proud of living here. Even with all the detractors. Maybe because of them. But I'm also an elitist bitch so I guess that fits.

01 September, 2005 16:30  
Blogger Andraste said...

With all your faults, I love you still...

Oh, shit, that's a song about NY!

Absolutely! Aaaaaooooowwww, Boston, Yer Mah Home!

01 September, 2005 16:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Standells and the River Charles. What more could one ask for?
River Phoenix perhaps? Before he karked it, of course.
Sad to here that the infamous "Combat Zone" has been Disneyfied, fond frat-boy memmories!

01 September, 2005 16:53  
Blogger Andraste said...

Muff, you lost me with the River Phoenix thing...

Frat boy, huh? Explains the spelling.

Ha!

01 September, 2005 18:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Australia deserves the title of a colony of fools before Boston... considering we were colonised by criminals (as well as some dissident intellectuals, but no one talks about that!)

01 September, 2005 19:54  

<< Home