Friday, April 22, 2011

Feeling another phase coming on...

So, okay, I have this weird thing where I get into something (usually involving TV or movies, but sometimes music) and it obsesses me for weeks or months at a time, absorbing all my mental energy, making me a dreadful bore about it to anyone who will listen, until I move on to something else. I buy the paraphernalia, books, records, wrist-watches, toys, etc., investigate the back stories on the characters and actors...

What the hell is that about? I think it's some form of ADD, perhaps Aspberger's or something. I have tested very high for that in some on-line test that (like all on-line tests) is probably bullshit, but a friend with two kids who have Aspberger's tells me that the questions on that quiz are the same as some of the 'real' tests she and her kids have been given so...whatever. I won't explore this fully because it doesn't matter - I've gone 45 years without an 'official' diagnosis and I have a job I like and function as an adult in the real world, so it doesn't really matter.


Anyway, I can remember just about all of my little obsessions from early childhood, from Superman to Starsky & Hutch, to S.W.A.T., to Star Wars, to The Who, to Auf Wiedersehen Pet, to...I guess that brings us up to date, though I skipped a few relatively minor ones in between the big ones. Also some of the ones that were peripheral to the bigger ones. (Newcastle United Football Club as an off-shoot of Auf Wiedersehen Pet, for instance.)

And what I find now is that with the availability of so much music and TV on YouTube and other on-line sources, I'm starting to backtrack. I spent 2 hours last night watching interviews with Paul Michael Glaser, which led me to Hulu.com to watch the pilot episode of Starsky & Hutch. Also, Amazon.com has S.W.A.T. episodes available for purchase and viewing on your PC for $1.99 each. So now I own a couple of those episodes that involve the character I was in love with in the 5th grade.

For the next few months, I'll be watching 70's cop shows ad nauseum, perhaps buying some DVDs, maybe a t-shirt or two, perhaps a novelty watch (though the Newcastle United watch I'm currently sporting will have to have shat the bed before I make that investment and it goes in the drawer with my Harry Potter watches).

I apologize in advance to anyone who will be annoyed by this. But hey, at least I'll shut up about Jimmy Fucking Nail for a while.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kim Ayres said...

I'm nearly at the end of my box set of the ultimate, complete collection including movies and spin-off series of Babylon 5. It's been quite painful and I'll be glad to finish it. The computer graphics which were revolutionary in the 90s, now look so poor as to be laughable. And the appalling dialogue grates every time someone speaks - which is a lot in the combined 120 hours or so...

Just don't ask why I carried on watching after the first episode

23 April, 2011 12:47  
Blogger Andraste said...

In for a penny, in for a pound? I know what you mean. Something resonates, even as you wince at the dialogue and general 'out-datedness.' With the 70's cop shows, it's the clothes and the music and general cheesiness - it's almost camp. Kojak just rules - I forgot how smart that character was. Plus, that Starsky was/is such a hottie!

23 April, 2011 13:14  
Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

When I lived in England Starsky and Hutch were the cat's pyjamas. It was some kind of strange: the Dinky Toy driving grubby English watching the Americans in their fast cars and fancy clothes.

27 April, 2011 23:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home