Saturday, September 22, 2007

Nick Lowe is a LOVELY Fellow


Had the good fortune to be at the Somerville Theater last night to see Nick Lowe. A fantastic artist, a fantastic performance, in support of a fantastic new CD, At My Age. Yes, I'm prone to hyperbole. I may still be a little drunk.

If I were to list the ten best shows I've seen in my show-going life, I'll bet you Basher was on the bill - headlining or opening - of at least seven of them. (He was also instrumental in the acquisition of a hangover back in '94 or so, that was so powerful, I still have a physical memory of it, and judge the violence of subsequent hangovers by its comparison. But that's a whole other story.)

Also managed to find ourselves backstage after the show. (I know some people... who know some people...who know the Bristols.) Can't blame Nick for not remembering me from the last time I met him, lo these 10 years ago or more, when what I've come to call Hangover Nick was the result. (I name my hangovers much like the weather service names hurricanes.) But he greeted me as though he couldn't have been more pleased to see me and shake my hand and thank me for coming to the show. He must be the most charming, sweet, self-effacing, humble...gentleman in the biz. Courtly-mannered, even. Just lovely.

And yes, I am hungover. But not so bad as Hangover Nick. More like tropical depression Pete.

Right, I've got a friend coming over to help me rid the world of Bass Ale, one pint at a time. Think I'll load up the 5 CD changer...I hope she likes country soul...

3 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Cannot say I have kept up with Nick like maybe I should have over the years. Loved everything he did with Dave Edmunds. And his buddy Elvis married a sweet gal from the Island. And I don't mind white hair geezers like Nick reminding me I'm getting up there too. I had no idea you had such good taste at the Horse's Ass Pub.

(If you have been to Suffolk Downs, in your city of so many gone away Newfoundlanders, would you be so good as to tell us about it?)

23 September, 2007 22:41  
Blogger Andraste said...

Morning, Mr. B & H!

Well, I must insist that you go out immediately and try to find any of the following NL discs:

Impossible Bird
Dig My Mood
The Convincer
At My Age

Any of them is a pretty nice little sample of what he's been up to for the last 15 years or so. Like a fine wine...

Now, this Suffolk DOwns question - Haven't been, but it begs the question, did Great Big Sea play there recently or something?

I've seen them a few times in the area. I have a friend who shagged one of them. Won't say which or when...

24 September, 2007 07:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently pulled a copy of "Basher" from the CD rack at the library and it's been finding its way into the iTunes shuffle function a bit. NL is one hell of a pop-song craftsman. That one song of his from the Upstart compilation "I live on a battlefield" has always been a favorite too. Glad to hear he's every bit the lovely guy in person one would suppose he might be.

Drink an extra pint for me, I'm in freehab.

XO,
~Sare

24 September, 2007 13:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home