Friday, August 15, 2008

Three days left


Last weekend of vacation is upon me. After Sunday, I shall wave goodbye to the Captain, set the alarm for 6-bloody-AM, and rejoin the working world. I have terribly mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I'm a bit bored now and won't mind being back in a routine. On the other, let that alarm go off Monday morning and I'll be whinging and moaning that I want another week off. I also kind of got spanked in the weather department this time around, and didn't have money to spend, so I wasn't able to really capitalize on the time off, aside from just being able to putter around the house, get through a couple of books, devote more time to working out, and just relax a bit. Still, I did get through The Origin of Species, and (thanks to YouTube) watched every available episode of a bunch of shows I'd been missing either because they're on when I don't want to be in front of the TV or they're only available in the UK.

Speaking of UK television, can I just say how much BBC America sucks? Seems like they only have about a dozen or so shows in rotation, some of them so old and moldy I don't know why they bother. Checked out their line up and here's what's available to the US audience:

Teen Transsexual
Cash in the Attic
Antiques Roadshow
Graham Norton
Primeval
Bargain Hunt
How Clean is Your House?

Fucking hell - and where's the comedy you may well fucking ask... Well, I'll tell you, in an age when people in the UK are getting such brilliant programming as QI, do you know what we're getting over here for English comedy?

MONTY FUCKING PYTHON'S FLYING FUCKING CIRCUS

I mean, FELLAS! Let it go! It was great, but 30 years have passed! Why is the assumption that US viewers who like English comedy are ONLY interested in Monty Fucking Python?

Still, at least it's not Are You Being Served. That's on PBS. The 'arty' station.

I fear.

Anyway, it's cocktail hour where I am, how about you?

5 Comments:

Blogger Megan McGurk said...

I am just about to pour a drink, Andraste.
Cheers.

Have you seen Mad Men yet?
It's fab.

15 August, 2008 17:42  
Blogger Andraste said...

Haven't yet. Will definitely, on your recommendation alone!

I've had 14 Captain and gingers...let the snacking begin!

15 August, 2008 23:00  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

I have no idea what makes it over to the States, but if you can, try and track down either "The Peep Show" or "Black Books"

16 August, 2008 15:41  
Blogger Andraste said...

Thanks for the tip, Kim. I haven't heard of either show - so I'll take a look on Netflix to see if they're on DVD or maybe just search it on YouTube. That's where I've found QI, Bob and Rose, Room 101, TV Heaven TElly Hell, and a few others.

16 August, 2008 16:11  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I second Black Book, Bernard is brilliant, and also, The League of Gentlemen, black black comedy.

18 August, 2008 12:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home