Thursday, January 29, 2009

I shall retire to my li-bray, Cuthbert. Tell all callers I am not receiving visitors.



Pip, pip, my gentle dewdrops!

I am not dead. (I'm as surprised as you are.) I am simply doing other things.

I've decided that in order to read everything I want to read, and know everything I want to know, before I am DEAD, then I'm going to have to do a lot of reading and a lot of learning indeed. So that's all I'm doing. Got a gigantic stack of books for Christmas (people FINALLY learned that buying clothes for me is a very risky proposition - and that I'm very simple to shop for if you only look at what I fucking WANT and stop pretending that I like the same shit in the same poncy fucking colors they do, and that I'm actually bigger than I look, so nothing would ever fit anyway for crying out loud) and wisely hit my Amazon wishlist pretty hard. So my 'on-deck circle' of books is enough to keep me going till summer. Plus, I've added to my magazine subscriptions by subscribing to Free Inquiry, every issue of which is pure gold. GOLD, I tell you.

All this sitting in my little library/office, reading and absorbing all this great stuff has been enough for me to break my awful habit of spending most of my free time on YouTube, arguing with creationist idiots, right-wing dickheads, and (probably) 12 year olds pretending to be older and smarter than they are, about politics, science, religion and whatever else there is to argue about. I'm glad THAT was a phase. What a fucking pedant I was becoming. Yeesh. But Jesus Christ on a stick, what a bunch of stupid fuckers. The mere existence of people like that pisses me off, no end. And now I have to face it...I am one of those people. Fuck.

AND I've made it to level 8 in Bubble Town when I take my brain breaks. Just so you all don't think I'm being pretentious and affected with all this talk of "book larnin'." I can still enjoy a good hockey fight,swill pints, eat cheese, and giggle at my own farts with the best of them. I just know a bit more about history, literature and science than I did last year at this time. Don't argue with me, you philistines, I have facts. Nyah.

I've even gotten my TV viewing down to the occasional hockey game, one sitcom, and Dr. Who. The rest is unremitting gobshite, and I have my moments with the sitcom and Dr. Who.

"Television," she sniffed, "I don't really care for it."

(Though I had a skinful last Saturday, and watched this episode of Graham Norton with Dawn French and Jackie Chan. It may have been the funniest hour of TV I've seen in months.)

That is all.


****EDIT*****

If you are viewing this page on Internet Explorer, you'll notice the sidebar stuff has floated to the bottom of the page, due to the size of that lovely book and skull picture at the top. Resolution on that came out so nice I'm unwilling to change the dimensions on the picture, so read this with Mozilla Firefox, fuckers.






14 Comments:

Blogger Megan McGurk said...

Sweet!
Share some of the titles, Andraste!

29 January, 2009 22:46  
Blogger Andraste said...

Hiya Medbh,

For a start - Freethinkers: A history of American Secularism (Susan Jacoby)

The Blind Watchmaker and the Selfish Gene (both of course by my boy Richard Dawkins)

The Republican War on Science (Chris Moody)

40 Days and 40 Nights (Matthew Capman- he's Darwin's great-great grandson, btw. A very good, engaging, funny writer and not a half bad film maker, either)

Why Orwell Matters (Christopher Hitchens)

I've even picked up the bible, figuring I have been making fun of it for so long I'd better read it to be fair. What a load of old piss. Violent, nasty, misogynist, xenophobic shit - every bit of it. Totally lives up to (or down to) all I've been saying for years. I can't believe people believe this shit. But I'm 'honing my references.'

This is all just since Christmas. Last summer and fall I tackled Darwin, LOTS of Stephen Jay Gould, what a loss his death was... ...jeez. I can't remember what else.

29 January, 2009 23:02  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Don't argue with me, you philistines, I have facts. Nyah.

"There are no facts, only interpretations" - Nietzsche

30 January, 2009 04:38  
Blogger Andraste said...

You know Nietzsche was insane, right?

30 January, 2009 07:30  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Reading, I am decidedly for it. And currently I am reading an equine veterinary dictionary, I know very little about the bible, but quite a good deal about why horses go lame so easily.

30 January, 2009 09:38  
Blogger Andraste said...

See, Cat? That's the kind of thing that no one thinks to read unless they're in the field - but can be fascinating reading nonetheless. I'm never going to study physics formally, but I've been thinking I should pick up a physics text book (high school level, it wouldn't pay to be too ambitious with that because I know I won't get anything too highfalutin') just so I can get the basics. Which I don't, currently. Shit that involves too much math tends to go in one ear and out the other.

30 January, 2009 10:04  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Only for the last 10 years was he dribbling into his oversized moustache.

Mind you, if you want to try and find a definition of insanity, you have to find a working definition of sanity. This can lead you to notions of majority beliefs.

Now as more people believe in reincarnation than don't, and even more people than that believe in some kind of God, then athiests must be insane...

30 January, 2009 12:05  
Blogger Andraste said...

Well, Kim - seems we're having a semantic quibble today, non?

Let's just say I'm not so much of a relativist as you. Sure, plenty is up for interpretation, but I there are such things as facts.

Majority opinion, shmajority opinion - Reincarnation and god are not testable hypotheses, therefore they are not fact. Therefore, I would have as hard a time believing in them as that my head was about to explode for no good rea...

30 January, 2009 12:22  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Mind you, the Big Bang is not a testable hypothesis either - we can't repeat the experiment...

Don't worry, I'm as atheistic as anyone. But my background in philosophy can't help trying to make people's heads explo...

30 January, 2009 13:54  
Blogger Andraste said...

Reminds me that I've had Bertrand Russel's history of Philosophy on the shelf for years and never opened it.

The "On deck circle" just got three inches higher.

30 January, 2009 14:05  
Blogger Annie said...

And here I was thinking I was the only one with a rather bizarre taste in reading material. I'm currently digesting Understanding Pharmacology.

31 January, 2009 07:14  
Blogger David Sullivan said...

I wish I had some time to read. I squeezed in "The Ginger Man" while doing cardio at the gym last winter and Malachy McCourts "History of Ireland" last spring, but thats been it. Kids cut into everything from drinking to book learnin'

31 January, 2009 21:57  
Blogger Student said...

If you liked The Blind Watchmaker and the Selfish Gene you should try the God delusion. The guy is a genius.

I love the post Xmas period when there is still treasure to go through. I have just about finished my books and DVD's.

I agree about TV. I struggle to find much on that I actually want to watch. Although No Heroics on BBC 3 is comedy gold

http://www.itv.com/ITVPlayer/Video/default.html?ViewType=5&Filter=33841

TAG right back at'cha missy!

04 February, 2009 10:31  
Blogger Andraste said...

Hiya, Student. Welcome to the pub.

I have read The God Delusion, along with a lot of other books by Dawkins and the other Horsemen - Dennet, Hitchens, etc. (though I haven't picked up Harris yet - something tells me he'll be 'preaching to the choir' with me) I was just listing the ones from the last few weeks.

Also forgot to list Collapse, by Jared Diamond. Talk about genius!

04 February, 2009 10:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home