Monday, December 06, 2010

Nobody owes anybody any fucking greeting. Get over it.



Anybody out there? Hi.


A little exchange on Facebook today provides the reason for this post. And that purpose is to tell people who get indignant over the form of a holiday greeting to GET THE FUCK OVER IT.

Let's start with this bit of obviousness: Nobody owes you a holiday greeting of any kind, so stop telling people what form you would like your greeting in. Where do you get off having any kind of an issue whether someone doesn't use the word Christmas? Whence the sense of entitlement? If you get a holiday greeting, just accept it in the spirit it's given and don't give out about whether it's "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas" or, "Happy Hanukkah", or for that matter, "Happy Solstice." Can you just accept the fact that the person offering the greeting is just wishing you a happy ...whatever the fuck you celebrate this time of year?

There is no frigging war on Christmas - that was made up by Fox News to get the Christian nutbags indignant and give them an excuse to tell us they're being persecuted for their religious beliefs because oh, poor things, people in retail want to cover more than one base when they offer their pleasantries. Oh my god - how DARE THEY?!

The form in which I give and receive holiday greetings is irrelevant - it's simply a courtesy and a nice thing to say to someone at a time of year when we're supposed to be fucking nice to each other. And I take greetings offered to me at face value. If someone says "Merry Christmas" to me, I say "Merry Christmas" back. I don't go all smug and insufferable and tell them I'm an atheist, I just say "Thanks" and offer them the same courtesy. If they say "Happy Holidays" I say "Happy Holidays." And if I'm the one offering the greeting first, I use the terms interchangeably depending on my mood and whether I actually know the religious feelings of the person I'm addressing.
If someone is Jewish, and I know it, and I'm paying attention to dates, I say "Happy Hanukkah."

What's the fucking harm in that?

For the love of Salma, people, stop taking this shit so seriously, and be nice.

Fuck sake.

That is all.




7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo! Someone wishes you well. Accept it and move the fuck on.

07 December, 2010 05:23  
Blogger Andraste said...

Exactly - the final words in the FB exchange were mine and no one seems to have contradicted me or added anything - they were "I dunno - if someone wants to wish me well, I wouldn't presume to tell them how to do it."

Seems to have shut down the debate. Heh. LOVE getting the last word.

07 December, 2010 07:12  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Can't think of anything to say except I agree with you completely.

07 December, 2010 13:35  
Blogger Andraste said...

Hell, Kim, I'm just glad people are still checking in!

07 December, 2010 14:14  
Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Now that people, generally, are not drinking as much as they are supposed to at Christmas they are getting a little snarly.

12 December, 2010 17:45  
Blogger Andraste said...

I blame religion.


....what else is new?

12 December, 2010 23:53  
Blogger Pearl said...

Wish I'd been here sooner, but you are absolutely right!!

Pearl

01 February, 2011 08:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home