Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Writers, proofreaders, and publishers take note


Back yard. Two words. One adjective, one noun. This is the yard that is in the back of your house. "I have a still in my back yard."

Backyard. One word. This is an adjective, describing something informal, hand-made, perhaps not mainstream or legal, OR is located in one's back yard. "I make kick-ass moonshine with my backyard still."

Good will. Two words. Adjective, noun. Benevolence towards another. "I have feelings of good will towards you, so I will give you some money to help you out."

Goodwill. One word. Noun. Formal. Non-profit company. They take donations of clothing, housewares, etc., and sell them cheap. The proceeds go towards education and job training, non-specific other purposes. "I donated some old clothes to Goodwill today."

More later. I read a lot, and I will see more to bitch and moan about on my lunch break.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Did you...did you just post a grammar rant? I think I might love you.

17 August, 2005 13:57  
Blogger Andraste said...

Stay tuned! Plenty more where that came from. Love (and bad grammar) is all around....

17 August, 2005 14:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about "bitch" and "moan"? Think about what you are saying!

17 August, 2005 14:53  
Blogger Andraste said...

Mortimer -
Okay, "bitch" and "moan" are examples of linguistic laziness. Would you have preferred kvetch or bellyache or beef? Lament? Fret? Fuss? Repine? Reproach?
Sometimes you just post without your thesaurus. It's okay. Move on.

17 August, 2005 15:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

17 August, 2005 15:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

17 August, 2005 15:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

17 August, 2005 15:50  
Blogger Andraste said...

Why the fuck would I be interested in a diabetic diet pregnancy site? Have I ever said I was pregnant, diabetic or interested in dieting? Fuck off.

17 August, 2005 15:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are correct, but on the otherhand, I kind of like it, anyhow.

18 August, 2005 02:47  
Blogger Andraste said...

How could I miss this? Other hand. Two words.

23 August, 2005 17:07  

<< Home