Sunday, November 27, 2005

WAKEY- WAKEEEEEYYYYYYY


BAD internet Lego man, BAD. Nothing like specialization, I guess.

Ahhhhhh....home from our holiday jaunt in Maine. The drives to and from were characterized by blinding snow. Spun out on the highway on the way there on Thursday, but the spouse is a good, experienced driver and kept us on the road. (How much weight do you have to HAVE in the back of a Ford Ranger to make that fucking back end heavy enough not to fishtail and possibly send us into a ditch? Guess we'll have to invest in another couple hundred pounds of sand, but my next truck will be an F-150.)

Had some good food, drank some beers and other things, played some pool in my brother's fabulous game room. I don't usually play pool, so as you can well imagine, I SUCK. But once I warmed up and relaxed a bit, I actually made some pretty nice shots, managed to win a game or two.

More troubling was my performance at darts. Christ...I used to be CAPTAIN of a pub darts team. Once or twice I've hit multiple double corks to win desperate games of cricket, once had a perfect, straight on stance, and a steady, unfailing right arm. When I picked up the darts for the first time in about five years, and threw... "uh...sorry about your wall. I'll spackle that in the morning..." Oy.

Anyway, the point is that I miss pub sports. I should re-invest in a good set of darts (I am terribly forgetful and have lost many a beautiful set, or left them unattended in dive bars, for unscrupulous arseholes to steal, and therefore haven't even owned a set in years). Trouble is, dart nights around here are Tuesdays, and I have to remember that part of the reason I stopped playing was that I couldn't face being hungover EVERY SINGLE WEDNESDAY of my life...

Must consider this in depth.


6 Comments:

Blogger the anti-barney said...

Welcome back pet,been quiet around here without you,selfish cow.

27 November, 2005 11:30  
Blogger Andraste said...

Thanks, AB! It's nice to be home. I miss my cats when I go away, and evidently they miss me too. Haven't been free of the screaming kitten since I got up.

27 November, 2005 12:49  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Welcome back toots, I have just come home from an enjoyable afternoon in The Black Horse, sipping pints of Stella, watching the Man U/WestHam game and fighting over greatest actors, up to and including Helen Hunt. Pubs, and therefore their games, are indeed tops.

27 November, 2005 15:04  
Blogger LBseahag said...

glad you had fun...
they have darts teams?

pub nachos...mmmm...

27 November, 2005 20:41  
Blogger Andraste said...

Thanks, FMC - sounds like you've had an ideal afternoon. Pub, sports, conversation...excellent.

LBSeahag - dear lord, there are no darts leagues where you live? Seriously? It's HUGE here. The Minuteman league is the biggest dart league in the US. HUNDREDS of bars, divided into regions, cities, levels. The Silhouette Lounge here in Brighton (next town over) has at least 4 or 5 teams just out of that pub. I'm sure there are larger bars that have even more teams than that. What a blast... you meet all types.

27 November, 2005 23:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you once had a dartboard in your living room, too, so you could practice every day. Shame!

28 November, 2005 09:58  

<< Home