Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Τέχνη της Νίκαιας.


Rough translation: Nice art.

Actually took a class in Homeric Greek a few years ago, as well as Latin, thinking that I would eventually get a master's degree and become a Medieval scholar. One of the many things I considered doing with my life and education over the years that, sadly, never really panned out. Other fields in which I considered doing graduate work include, but are not limited to: Library Science, Archaeology, Education Administration, various modern languages...and a few others I can't think of right now. Trouble is, I am interested in SO MUCH STUFF, but not enough to spend all that money and time on any one field in particular. A year or two on one thing, and I start casting about for the 'next thing.'

Jack of all trades, master of...whatever hasn't bored me yet...

I have my wee Bachelor's Degree in English -- cum laude, despite working full time throughout my college years and being a full-time barfly to boot, thank you very much -- and that'll just have to be it. I have a job that doesn't make me want to kill myself when the alarm goes off every day, and that's better than a lot of people my age can say. So...so be it.


Anyway, apropos of nothing, I read this on the bus on the way to work, and I laughed out loud:

"But nobody ever saw Sonny Liston in a fucking dashiki." - Nick Tosches

Sweet.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I was about to call you a Gemini, but I see you are an Aries. Hello, my fire sign, interested-in-everything friend.

24 January, 2007 15:55  
Blogger Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

I mulled archaeology for a bit too and did a year of it my first year at uni, as a a kind of extra class thing. Then I realized British archaeologists or archaeologists in Britain at any rate are people who are very, very cold and often wet for most of their lives. Most of them have rheumatism by the time they're 32.

24 January, 2007 18:56  
Blogger Andraste said...

Amy - welcome to the pub, and thanks for stopping by!

Sam - yes, the idea of sitting in a ditch all day, brushing away at a 3 inch piece of 30,000 year old petrified dung with a toothbrush...kind of made me think twice about it. Though, to be fair, 90% of archaeology happens in the library, doing research. So it still kind of has its appeal...

24 January, 2007 19:17  
Blogger T. Leach said...

I knew we were the same fucking person!

25 January, 2007 21:16  

<< Home