Friday, January 12, 2007

Leading a Completely Inane Existence. And YOU?

Okay, a few things to report about the new house and commute and stuff.

Firstly, the 70 bus from Waltham to Watertown Square? Miiiiiiight just be another one of the MBTA bus lines for which the word schedule may always have to appear in quotes. Too early to tell, of course, but today's commute tested what little patience I have for inefficiency and bad service.

Also, I had a lot of trouble Wednesday night, coming home from the Celtics game. (Why, yes, I DO know the C's suck.) Waited in Central Square, in the cold, needing to pee, FOR A FULL 45 MINUTES for the 70 bus, which never came. I was there 20 minutes early for the 10:05, which, evidently, was lost in another dimension, before someone told me that the next one wasn't for a full 35 minutes more. At 10:30, informed that the next bus wouldn't come until 11:05, I decided to spend 30 bucks (which, now that there's a mortgage in the picture, I can't really afford to blow) on a cab. I left the game in the third quarter to get home at a decent hour, and ended up walking in the door at 11pm.

Now, that's 50% of the time I've taken this bus line, it has sucked. Utterly. Okay, NOTHING can be as bad as the 86 bus from Cleveland Circle to Cambridge/Somerville/parts unknown, which is consistently AWFUL 100% of the time, and has been forever, and one bad morning, and one bad evening, does not a shit-commute make. But the 70 now has something to prove to me.

(Also, Wednesday night, I had a great deal of trouble using my Charlie Card on the red line getting downtown and back. So, the MBTA also needs to redeem itself for the half-assedly managed change to the Charlie Card system, and prove to me the fare increase is justified. Because right now, I'm thinking Charlie is a fucking dick.)

In other news, because of the new house, I have drifted into the arena of the incredibly mundane. All my brainpower, when not at work, is focused entirely on unpacking, organizing, decorating...God help me...window treatments and upholstery patterns. I think...yes...I THINK I may be turning into a...a GIRL!

Hence, not much has crossed my mind that's bloggable. Which is my excuse for the silence and lack of bile. I've been just looking forward to the long weekend (I have Monday off for MLK day), buying a few more much-needed sticks of furniture, getting really settled in, and finding the boxes containing:


The phone
The note pad with our new phone number
The Vodka
The rest of my underwear


So, with any luck, normal bitch-service will resume once I find my shit.

Cheers, to all my lovely, faithful, long-suffering readers. And I hope everyone's weekend is as productive and cathartic as mine should be.




9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charlie is NOT a fucking dick, your public transit woes notwithstanding. Why the hell don'cha drive to the damn T?

XO,

12 January, 2007 15:35  
Blogger Andraste said...

Because there's no place to fuckin' PARK, Smartarse.

12 January, 2007 15:39  
Blogger Sassy Sundry said...

Oh dear. I hate that bus. An ex-boyfriend used to take it to meet me in Central Square. I knew it wasn't meant to be---I HATE it when I'm left standing around.

Ick.

Hope you find the vodka.

My word verfication is "czart." I think I'm going to say it like "Shazaam."

12 January, 2007 20:55  
Blogger Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Find the vodka! For the love of God, woman, you're not trying to move house without vodka are you?

13 January, 2007 01:03  
Blogger Old Knudsen said...

get those shoes with wheels in them, with the Vodka you'll think you're an angel flying.

course knowing you you'd want to be an angel of death ;)

13 January, 2007 01:40  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Sounds terrible. Sam is right, nobody in their right mind would move without being drunk. I intend to be blind drunk when I finally shift residence. Doubtless I"ll pack the bigger of the cats in with my underwear, that way it will be easier to find. Locating specific boxes are much easier when you use outraged yowls at a pointer.
Have a spankin' weekend!

13 January, 2007 05:38  
Blogger Fresh Hell said...

Thanks for posting about the hell that the bus system is. I'd been wondering about it, but with your review, I'll be continuing to be part of the problem as another vehicle on the road.

Everyone else who left comment about the vodka is right, I moved from CA to MA and don't remember one second of it.

Congratulations on jumping into the ranks of homeowner!

13 January, 2007 21:10  
Blogger Fat Sparrow said...

You have a bus service that runs after 7 P.M.? Wow. Civilization. I've heard of that. Our worse bus route (the one I have to take to go anywhere) is full of people crawling with lice and smelling of piss. And that's the sober people, mind you.

:::giggles:::

Have a good weekend!

15 January, 2007 04:28  
Blogger Pickled Olives said...

New here - loving what I am reading! Will be back to read more!!!!

15 January, 2007 11:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home