Thursday, February 15, 2007

Snow?

"In New England? In FEBRUARY? Oh, no WAY!!"

That was the reaction of the MBTA yesterday, evidently.

If anyone tells you that the higher ups at the MBTA know what they're doing? Tell them to immediately take something hard and pointed, and jam it up their corn-holes.

Last night, frozen wires meant that the trolleys on the 71 and 73 lines were completely useless, as the buses ground to a stop all in a neat little row, while a couple hundred tired, wet, cold riders sat and waited for help. And waited, and waited. The T's reaction to send diesel buses to pick up stranded commuters was a decent idea, BUT poorly and slowly executed. Here's an idea: If there's freezing rain in the forecast, use the diesels. Or at least have a bunch of them standing by for service.

And while we're on the subject of the 71 and 73 bus lines, here's an idea: How about sending them in a 1:1 ratio? I waited, stranded in one of those stranded 71 buses last night, in front of Shaw's on Mt. Auburn street (getting unpleasantly chatted up by some fucking mouseketeer who didn't seem to take the hint that my one syllable answers meant he was closer to dying with my fist in his pulverized skull than making friends with me) while the T sent SIX 73 diesel buses to rescue stranded commuters before they sent ONE FUCKING 71.

(Though, to be honest, the bus driver chatted me up a bit too, and he was kind of cute. But STILL.)

My commutes to and from work for the past two days have amounted to almost five hours.

My commute is SEVEN FUCKING MILES.

Next time the weather turns foul, I will be using a sick day. The T can fuck right off.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kav said...

I'll never complain about my commute again.

15 February, 2007 18:02  
Blogger Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Well you could use the time on the bus to knot a nice warm sign saying "MBTA You Suck Like Fuck!"

Maybe in a nice mohair.

15 February, 2007 21:00  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Yikes, sorry old girl, sounds horrible.

16 February, 2007 07:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel for you....I spent years commuting into Washington, D.C., from my home 35 miles away. I finally decided I was just too old for that shit so now I work at home. It's not all roses and bunnies, though. I frequently have to deal with dog and cat gridlock in the hallway on the way to my office.

16 February, 2007 11:59  
Blogger Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Knit. KnIt.

Damn me.

16 February, 2007 12:38  
Blogger Sassy Sundry said...

No kidding. The T sucks. First and worst.

16 February, 2007 17:15  
Blogger Mommy Needs a Xanax said...

Winter time stories like that one make me glad to live in Mississippi.

17 February, 2007 14:58  

<< Home