Thursday, August 18, 2005

Nothing better on TV

All those channels and everything is SHITE.

The Red Sox played (and lost, my poor boys) yesterday afternoon, so without a baseball game to watch last night, I was forced to look around for something else to watch. The spouse wasn't home, so the TV wasn't, by default, on some other ballgame (I have no interest in the National League until the playoffs, and I've stopped living and dying by how the Yankees are doing, since we have our World Series and they are no longer an I-S-S-U-E).

Yes, I know, I COULD have just turned the TV off, put on some nice Baroque and picked up a book. I will be pretentious enough to admit, and proudly, that I do that from time to time, sometimes I even listen to opera, so fuck off, TV snobs. Sometimes you just want to watch the tube, let the mediocrity wash over you, you know? But I digress.

So what did I find to watch but "Ghost Hunters." I mean to say...what a load of absolute CAK! I watched 2 hours of this rubbish, and not one ghost revealed itself, not one cold spot that couldn't be explained, not one chilling finger of death tapped the shivering shoulders of our intrepid investigating crew. All that equipment, EMF readers, digital temperature gauges, cameras, audio, a "psychic," and they couldn't even FAKE one for us. I mean....fellas! You've got advertisers paying you to russle up some spooks, and you couldn't even give us one ghostly voice? Not one ectoplasmic strand or spot? You couldn't breathe on some dust in a dark closet and stir something up for the camera?

I mean, I wasn't asking for this: http://www.metacafe.com/item2931/skeleton_street_show_video

ALL THEY DID is throw in the occasional frame of film with a skull on it, that old submliminal trick, hoping to inspire the 'frisson' of fear on the way to commercial break. What a disappointment. Ghost Hunters...Bore the Viewer to Death, more like.

4 Comments:

Blogger Natalia said...

Hehe..the things we watch. I keep the TV on for background noise when i am writing -don't know why, don't ask- and I have just caught stuff that surprised me. And people really watch these? I guess on an idle night with nothing better to do. :)

-N

18 August, 2005 11:30  
Blogger Andraste said...

I was hoping to get a little creeped out. And I was. By the commercials.

18 August, 2005 15:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, all I can say is, steer well clear of programs promising new insights and findings about the Loch Ness monster, alien space craft, Bigfoot, Yeti, that mexican supergoat that eats things etc etc, because all you ever get is a bunch of questionable 'witnesses' and 'experts' talking a load of donkey shit and you'll never get to see any pictorial proof of anything, ever.
There all a waste of time, trust me, I know.

19 August, 2005 09:03  
Blogger Andraste said...

I know that NOW, don't I? That's one evening of my life I'll never get back.

19 August, 2005 09:29  

<< Home