Monday, February 13, 2006

I'm not even supposed to BE here.


I was soooooo expecting to have the day off today. Last year, after a Sunday blizzard, even though the snow had stopped by Monday, the school was closed. Because I didn't check the web site, I didn't know it and came in, so I got some pretty good brownie points by being at my desk, even if only for a couple of hours... But this year, same situation, with the exception of me actually LOOKING for the school closing announcement on line and on the weather emergency hotline, no go this time. The school is open, I am here, and I'm not entirely sure it's the best thing for anyone concerned.

You see, fully expecting that I wasn't going to have to come in, this little rabbit spent Sunday stewing herself in a magnum of cheap red wine, while watching "Local Hero" for the eleventy-billionth time. I still cry when Mac has to leave Ferness...




If you were Mac, would you go back to Houston? Fuck that. I said to the spouse, 'wouldn't you be selling the Porsche right about now, and buying a one way ticket back to Scotland?' It'd be one thing if Mac was going back to someplace livable, but Houston? Jesus Christ. I'd kill myself. I would rather live in the poorest fishing village on the edge of the North Fucking Sea than anywhere near Houston-soulless-Texas. And THAT'S pretty much all I'll say about Texas here. (Though they say Austin is nice...)

That's just got to be one of the saddest movie endings of all time.

7 Comments:

Blogger fatmammycat said...

I have never heard of this film, but I must look it up, I love crying at sad films. I have snivelled through Terms Of Endearment countless times and the Lion KIng. Yes, I am that lame.

13 February, 2006 12:41  
Blogger Andraste said...

Oh, it's not a sad film per se. It's actually a comedy, though the humor is very understated and subtle. Tough to categorize. It's just the ending that makes me weepy...

Definitely a great film for viewing whilst snowed in, under a warm blanket, with a bottle of red nearby.

13 February, 2006 12:47  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Local Hero's a great film.

So when are you coming to Scotland, Andraste? Look me up if you do.

13 February, 2006 15:13  
Blogger Andraste said...

If I ever fly again, it'll have to be someplace like Scotland... so will do!

13 February, 2006 15:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mass Art is closed today. You got gyped.

13 February, 2006 17:18  
Blogger Foot Eater said...

Local Hero is a great film, and it's got a superb soundtrack by Mark Knopfler as well, worth getting in itself.

13 February, 2006 17:41  
Blogger Binty McShae said...

Exe-fucking-llent film!

14 February, 2006 06:43  

<< Home