Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Who needs a liver?


God bless the Pogues.

And God bless Shane, the only true poet that popular music has ever produced. (Don't fucking argue with me, it's true. The man's a genius.)

And God bless the friend who got me the ticket to that show...front row CENTER.


Shane was SPOT-fucking-ON. Clearly intoxicated, to put it mildly, and I could not for the life of me make out what he was saying when he talked in between songs, but when he sang, every single lyric was discernible. WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED THAT?! Animated, funny, dare I say it, almost seemed happy to be there.

The only moment I felt was a bit contrived was "Fairytale of New York." Fake snow, and a rather forced looking waltz. Meh...I don't know why they think they need to do that. Just because they improvised that part once with Kirsty MacColl and it was on video? Unnecessary. The song is beautiful, the girl (never caught her name, but I believe she's the daughter of someone in the band) sounded great, a lovely young thing in a delapitated vintage dress which perfectly suited the whole gestalt of the thing. Please guys, no need to force that little dance out there. Just sing it. Your audience gets it.


A more coherent review may come later, as I get my bearings, have some zoom juice and piece together what I remember of the set list.

EDIT: PHOTOS HERE.

But again...probably one of the best shows I've seen in a long, long time. I am truly, truly grateful.

10 Comments:

Blogger Chris Cope said...

He's become the Irish Ozzy Osbourne -- incoherent except when singing.

15 March, 2006 13:27  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Glad you had a good time Toots!

15 March, 2006 13:42  
Blogger Foot Eater said...

Did they do White City? My favourite, that one.

15 March, 2006 16:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i envy you. shane just fucking rocks. check out "the mighty ocean alchohol" by bap kennedy. shane guests.

15 March, 2006 23:48  
Blogger LindyK said...

Aah you lucky gal, you... sooo jealous am I! Glad Shane lived to play your show!! (For a second there, I worried you might've jinxed yourself!)

15 March, 2006 23:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, Shane Macingrowntoenail: I'm sure his fellow toff alumni from Winchester School are very proud of him. If he does need another liver I'm sure he can inherit one from pater. (Only teasing, I'm glad you had a nice time at the, er, concert)

16 March, 2006 09:50  
Blogger Dr Maroon said...

I have been following the countdown with mounting whatever the word is, so I am most gratified by your report.
Yes indeed.
Cracking photos, did you take em? I hope so.

16 March, 2006 10:33  
Blogger Andraste said...

No, Doc, I didn't take the photos. That was my pal, she'll be glad to hear you like them. She thought they were blurry, and they are, but I said that almost made them better. A more apt illustration of the kind of evening we had!

16 March, 2006 10:37  
Blogger Andraste said...

Footie - yes, they definitely did White City. Took me a while to put together teh song with its title. Here is the set list for the second night. So the set on Tuesday was similar, but not exact.

And what's the one about Oliver Cromwell...they did that one, but I don't recognize the title on this list. Oh well.

Streams Of Whiskey
If I should fall from grace with god
Broad Majestic Shannon
Turkish Song oF the Damned

Young Ned Of The Hill
A pair of brown eyes
Boys From The County Hell

White City
Tuesday Morning

Old Main Drag
Sayonara
Repeal of the licensing laws
Sunnyside of the street
Body of an american
Lullaby of london

Thousands are sailing
Dirty Old town
Bottle of smoke
Sickbed of cuchulainn

--------------------------
Sally MacLennane
Rainy NIght in Soho
Woof! Woof!!
--------------------------

Star
Fairytale of NY
Fiesta

16 March, 2006 14:57  
Blogger SafeTinspector said...

Who did the bassist marry again? ...god, why can't I remember?

16 March, 2006 23:22  

<< Home