Thursday, April 06, 2006

Guess I'll never be a rock star.

Yesterday, out of curiosity, I googled an old drinking buddy of mine, whom I have not seen in ...whoah, 10 years? We used to be great pals, worked together in a shit retail job at an Army Navy store that has since gone tits up. I thought for sure that he was here illegally (he is English) and has long since been deported or gone underground. So it was just idle curiosity that made me Google his name.

Turns out: Here he is! Living locally, playing in a band that is (evidently) considered pretty good. Looks like Dave's the front man and songwriter. Midget Jesus. Go figure, huh?

And then....THEN: ANOTHER old acquaintance has surfaced, AGAIN, playing in a band. Today, on the front of Boston.com, is a story about a Ramones cover band, and lo and behold...there's Bob, the front man.


That's TWO people, in 24 hours, whom I used to know, surfacing out of nowhere. Still playing music, having fun...

And my excitement this week is that today? After work? My husband and I are going to fucking COSTCO to buy products in absolutely STUPID quantities, and then we're going to a shitty chain restaurant for dinner and draft lager.

SHOOT. ME. NOW.


I need to get that fucking guitar fixed up...I'll probably never get out there and play in a band again, but it should be sitting next to the couch so I can pick it up and mess about with it from time to time. Or maybe...anybody want to form an 80's cover band?

9 Comments:

Blogger fatmammycat said...

Shut it Hooty McBoob, at least you're going out for dinner. I'm going to drink some wine, watch Lost, give myself a facial, deep condtion my hair and listen to Country Gay moan about his love life or lack thereof.
Big woop.
If we can sing Cure songs I'm in, I can't play an instrument for shit but I can sing, wiggle and wink in a really disgustingly smutty way. Between that and your big jugs we're half way to being a sure fire hit.

06 April, 2006 13:40  
Blogger abacadae said...

if you fix up your old guitar and start playing again check out freeguitarvideos.com.

06 April, 2006 14:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally in. I play bari sax, for all those soulful 1980s sax solos a la INXS's "Never Tear Us Apart." Unless you could be talked into a Morphine cover band, which would be cool, as well as Bostonian.

06 April, 2006 20:36  
Blogger Jagd Kunst said...

a ramones cover band? That's not very challenging, is it? I wouldn't be too jealous about it. If there was the choice of going to costco or being in a ramones covers band i'd probly go costco.

07 April, 2006 18:17  
Blogger Andraste said...

Welcome to the pub Jagd.

I'm not jealous that it's a Ramones cover band per se. It's the fact that they're in their 40's and still kicking around musically, having a few laughs, playing live...Not taking themselves too seriously and having a good time. My guitar and drums are in the basement, collecting dust, mold, going all wonky...

It's 10pm on a Friday night and I just had a nap on the couch...while watching a baseball game. It's not much of a contest.

07 April, 2006 22:03  
Blogger Monstee said...

Andraste, you go me and me bass if you wanna start you own Ramones cover band. If it just going to be any old 80's cover band... then me not so sure. Me not go in for them dance bands too much and me REFUSE to wear eye liner!!! Me probably go as far as Madness, but would rather keep it somewhere between Devo and Black Flag.

08 April, 2006 01:52  
Blogger Andraste said...

Oh Monstee...I hope there was never anything on this blog or anywhere in my comments on other blogs that would indicate that I like any of those 80's dance bands. I'm SHOCKED that you would even CONSIDER that.

Gloria Estefan is the most talentless hack of that era.

No, MY 80's cover band would do pretty much just the GOOD stuff that came out of that era, plus a sprinkling of late 70's punk and new wave. Classic Elvis Costello, the Clash, some ska, some Cure, Lloyd Cole, the Buzzcocks, Echo & the Bunnymen, Jesus & Mary Chain, Joy Division...yes, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, X...I know I'm missing a lot but I just got up.

08 April, 2006 08:47  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

The The! And The Cult! So many exclamations!! It can only be....the eighties!!!!!!!

08 April, 2006 09:41  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Count me in. I might even have a wah-wah peddle somewhere.

09 April, 2006 18:55  

<< Home