Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Don't disrespect my animals

I don't understand these people who insist on dividing people up between "cat people" and "dog people." What the fuck is that about?

Okay, I get that there are some people who like one and not the other, and sure, if you're allergic to one or the other or have met nothing but 'mean' individuals of either species, you may not relish the idea of being around them. Perfectly understandable. But for the most part, I think people are "pet people" or "non-pet people." Furthermore, "pet people" have the pets they have because of lifestyle, living space, economics (yes, it's a LOT more expensive to feed an Irish Wolfhound than a cat, let's face it), and biology.


Because I own three cats makes me no more a "cat person" than anyone else. I LOVE dogs and would have one in an instant if I had a house, the money, the time, and the inclination to spend as much time with my pets as a dog needs. You bet your sweet ass! And I wouldn't have a dog or dogs INSTEAD of cats. They're just a different pet with different requirements. The fact that I think cats are a smarter animal in general has nothing to do with anything...just an opinion.

I am a Pet Person first and foremost. I always have to have some kind of animal in my life. Grew up with a dog (the greatest dog EVER, mind you, irreplaceable collie named...yes, Lassie... genius), cats, and in my life at various times I've had rabbits, guinea pigs...even had a roommate with snakes, though I don't really think snakes should be owned as pets. (Just don't like the idea of feeding live animals to another live animal. I think people who enjoy that are a bit sick. That's another post for another day.)

Currently, I own cats because they're EASY. They don't need to be walked, they don't need ME to be on THEIR feeding and exercise schedule, they're small, quiet (for the most part) and don't eat my shoes. I can go out for impromptu after work beers and not worry about finding a steaming pile of "why'd-you-leave-me-all-alone-all-this-time" when I get home a little later than usual. Also, I have cats because I'm not allergic to them, they make me laugh EVERY SINGLE DAY, they relax me, and there is nothing...NOTHING more comforting than a rainy Sunday cuddle on the couch with a purring kitty on my stomach - especially if I have cramps.

So don't be dissing my pets just because they might make you sneeze and you've met some cats with shitty personalities. Every single cat is different, just like every person is different.

You guys? If I lived in the country, had the space, time, money, and didn't have to work out of the house 40 hours a week, I would totally...TOTALLY have a horse or two, some bunnies, a few dogs, maybe a pot-bellied pig and some poultry, as well as my current collection of putty-tats. I know my loving spouse would shudder at the thought, but he loves the cats, and he's a soft-hearted guy, so he'd end up being just as attached to them as I would be..

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we were in Taiwan we were so close to buying a pet pig. Brewski even had a name ready for it. Disco. Disco the pig. How wicked is that?

The guy at the pet shop assured us that it was a 'mini pig' and would grow to no larger than 2 feet. On reflection I believe that he was full of shit and that within months we would have had a 24 stone, hulking piece of anti-social behavior rampaging through our belongings on a daily basis.

My point is this; all animals are fucking great, but you'd better KNOW what you're getting yourself into. More thinking less owning.

06 June, 2006 12:45  
Blogger Andraste said...

Welcome, g.! And, yes, so right.

I knew a guy (didn't really KNOW him, friend of a friend kind of thing) who owned a real pig in an urban area close to where I live. They bought it believing it to be a mini, but lo and behold, by the time they realized they owned a real, farmyard porker, they were too attached to get rid of it. Fucker had TUSKS!!!! It lived in their little yard, and they had to build a ramp for it to go in and out of the house. It was housebroken!

Years ago, before I even knew the friend of these people, I was playing softball in the park next door to this house, and my friend and I thought at first it was just a huge dog. Then it got closer.

"IT'S A GODDAMN PIG!!"

Surreal.

But you know, they gave it a pretty good life. It lived like a dog, and was a real pet to these people. Bless 'em.

06 June, 2006 13:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree-- I have been erroneously labeled "cat person" before, by people who were then shocked and appalled (they were "cat people," too) when I got a dog. But I have always loved all sorts of pets. Growing up I had cats and dogs (and hamsters, rabbits, lizards, fish, and even those stupid hermit crabs).

Have you seen those giant pet cockroaches, by the way? My love for animals just does not extend that far!

06 June, 2006 15:05  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Here here! I have cats therefore I come under the 'Catperson' title. And no matter how many times I say Er I"m getting a French Bulldog the moment I have a garden and a horse, I'm calling him Batman -the dog, not the horse, the horse I'm calling Mortimor-even then folk STILL don't show me the fucking all animal respect I deserve. The bastids!

06 June, 2006 16:12  
Blogger Chris Cope said...

I'm a giraffe person.

06 June, 2006 19:02  
Blogger FINN said...

are you suggesting that i not hold your cats accountable for the fact that mine suck? am i to infer that i shall not connect them in any way with the spanish cat that shit on me?? fie, andraste, fie!

07 June, 2006 08:33  
Blogger Student said...

I like the idea of having a pig as a pet but i'd need a lot of space. I guess a flat really isn't the place for pets. maybe i will get a tortoise!

08 June, 2006 05:18  
Blogger Andraste said...

Vague - I've seen those pet cockroaches. Some guy has a whole web cam thingy devoted to his. It's interesting, but far from cuddly.

FMC - When I get a dog, depending on the breed, the name will either be Bosco, Opie, or Dave.

Chris - I have no response to that.

Finn - Yes, that's what I meant when I said "don't be dissing my pets just because they might make you sneeze and you've met some cats with shitty personalities. Every single cat is different, just like every person is different." My cats rule. Sorry your suck.

p1p - I had two turtles as a child. Myrtle and Girdle. I giggled foolishly whenever I said their names. They lasted about a week. FLUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!

08 June, 2006 09:33  

<< Home