Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Revenge of the Muu Muu



Okay, I have this co-worker. She's a year or two younger than I am, and she's NOT overweight or anything, though she is tall and, shall we say, pretty solid...but she wears Muu Muu's. I don't get it. Maybe her problem is low self-esteem, and an image of herself that's fatter, older, more matronly than she is...but what would make a woman in her late 30's want to dress like Mrs. Roper?

Admittedly, I don't dress very fashionably. My "uniform," as I like to call it, is pretty much the same every day. Jeans (slightly tapered, or straight-leg, no flares, please), black (or other dark color) t-shirt, black boots or Converse Chuck Taylors. Not very original, I know. It's a 'look' I adopted in the 80's, and found too comfortable to give up. Styles have changed around me, and I stick to my guns...as long as there's someone out there listening to the Ramones, I'm at least on the map.

The point? Yeah, I'm stuck in the 80's. I think it's puzzling, and more than a little sad that she's stuck in HER 80's. I guess that's all I'm saying.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps she moonlights at a tiki lounge? Can she whip up a fierce mai-tai at cocktail hour?
Or better yet, maybe she's a shoplifter and therefore the extra "room" is her storage space?
love ya,
mrspea

11 July, 2006 13:09  
Blogger Andraste said...

Tree - I'm not talking about a crazy 80's taper, where you have to push your foot through, or like mom jeans. Just enough so it looks more like a straight leg than a boot cut or flare. Those are awful now, if possible even more so than in the 70's. All fashion is cyclical, so don't make fun of straight legs...they'll come back. BELIEVE ME.

MrsPea - This woman's wardrobe is legendary around here. The catty comments are very entertaining...and I'm sorry to say most of them come from me. You wouldn't believe me if I told you...there's no excuse!

11 July, 2006 14:22  
Blogger Andraste said...

Dudes! With black sneakers and maroon knee socks.

I think she's just doing it to toy with my head now.

12 July, 2006 13:17  
Blogger Crystal said...

love nostrils need to breathe too.


if that isn't the case, then i agree with mrs. pea. there used to be this transvestite named miss kitty in my hometown. she would smuggle briscuits out of the Safeway. amazing thighs on that wuhman. hard to do discreetly in jeans or a mini-skirt. muumuus are simply the best for that type of activity.

14 July, 2006 15:46  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Maybe she has to wear loose flowing clothes for medical reasons.

14 July, 2006 23:55  

<< Home