Thursday, August 21, 2008

Who? Me?


BADGER!!!

Must confess I haven't been watching the Olympics. Yawn. Haven't paid much attention to the popular media at all lately - no IDEA what's going on in the world aside from the obvious things I read on news sites on-line. The war, the election, more shite in Georgia, big plane crash, environmental doom, blah, blah, blah. Yeah, I KNOW. Maybe I should stick my head out of my little warren more often, but I can't be bothered.

My TV is only on lately for baseball games (which I'm only paying passing attention to as I wander the house going "yougonnacleanthisup? yougonnapickthatup? yougonnacooksomething? where's'atbook? catonthelawn! CATONTHELAWN!") and my Netflix DVDs.

RE: The Netflix DVDs. Thanks to Kim and FMC for the Black Books suggestion - it is BRILLIANT. I want a Dylan Moran of my own. Oh yes I do. The scene in the first episode where he's trying to do his taxes and screaming at the instruction booklet is basically a distillation of my inner soul - my inner spirit, made manifest, if you will. What I'm trying to say is that is the normal state of my head. With a soundtrack by Nick Cave. I recognize one of my tribe when I see one. And I'm completely convinced that anything involving Bill Bailey is going to be very, very good indeed.

The Peep Show is also damn funny, but I've only watched a few episodes so far. That's one of those shows that you wince in vicarious embarrassment for the characters, in the same way you are agonizingly entertained by The Office or that scene in Cheers where Woody sings the Kelly song. You just go "oh, don't." And they DO, and you're just uncomfortable as hell, but you watch anyway, even though it's an exquisite agony.

Also, MI-5 is fun. I believed it's called "Spooks" over in the UK. Obviously can't call it that over here, that wouldn't go down well at all. It's so subtle you have to crank the volume to hear the dialogue and then get blasted out of your seat when something explodes, but that's a small price to pay for entertainment that doesn't talk down to - and assumes basic intelligence in - its audience.

Someone has also recently pointed me in the direction of Little Britain. So far, so good - though I'm wondering whether this same set of characters and sketches will get old after a few more episodes. The horrible chav schoolgirl is genius, but the guy who's turned on by the granny is just creepy and tough to watch. We'll see where this goes.

What else? What else...?

Oh, work. I suppose I should do some. Boo.

11 Comments:

Blogger AJB said...

Anyone who likes Black Books and Nick Cave is doing OK in my book.

For some light relief (if you haven't already) try the UK shows 'Coupling', 'The IT Crowd' and/or 'Green Wing'. The two series of 'Life on Mars' and the sequel 'Ashes to Ashes' are also well worth a look. 'Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps' is also pretty cool.

AJB.

21 August, 2008 19:21  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

I missed Black Books when it was on TV, but got the 3 series box set on DVD recently on an Amazon special offer. Definitely one to keep in the collection.

And Bill Bailey is superb live - look out for "Part Troll"

22 August, 2008 12:16  
Blogger Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Never heard of Black Books. Netflix is fab though. I'm going to get The Wire soon on Medbh's recommendation. Might give Black Books a whirl too on the basis of the high praise.

22 August, 2008 19:25  
Blogger Andraste said...

Kim - Yes, I watched all of "Part Troll" on YouTube the other day. Very, very good. And his bit parts on Jonathan CReek were hilarious, as well as QI, of course.

Sam- yes, take a look at Black Books, definitely. It's got some of the silliness of The Young Ones, only a bit smarter, and not so shouty. And that Dylan Moran can come over and drink my wine anytime. Rrrraowwww.

22 August, 2008 20:44  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Oh Dylan, I love him so. Try League of Gentlemen too. It's most odd, but really very good. Especially the shop keepers. I wandered around Balmoral saying 'This is a local shop for local people' under my breath a lot.

23 August, 2008 05:16  
Blogger Andraste said...

Good Morning, La Mere du Chatte. I have seen League of Gentlemen. Very weirdly funny. Actually, Stephen recommended them to me a while back and I went through a phase of watching them while on the elliptical. Are they still going? Maybe I'll check out a few more.

23 August, 2008 08:37  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOtpgz4L5d8

Most favourite episode after 'you're my wife now Dave' Me and CG sometimes ring each other and ask, 'Dave, it that Dave?'in a ridiculous voice. yes, we are THAT sad.

23 August, 2008 12:55  
Blogger MikeP said...

I'm intrigued by this talk of Black Books. I think I will have to see it. Is it available for purchase?

25 August, 2008 13:41  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

I'm assuming you're already a fan of Eddie Izzard (if not you probably will become one), but have you checked out Ross Noble?

25 August, 2008 14:21  
Blogger Andraste said...

Will do a YouTube search today, Kim. Thanks for all the good tips!

26 August, 2008 07:36  
Blogger AJB said...

Bill Bailey is currently in NZ (pretty much sold out all shows apparently) and was on the radio this morning. I was almost late for work. Ok, I was late. But that wasn't the only reason...

He sang a song that featured a badger. And a zebra. And killerwhales and skunks and tapirs.

28 August, 2008 17:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home