Thursday, September 29, 2005

Armageddon Time

There is a very weird feeling in the air today. Several people at work have mentioned this. The atmosphere just somehow feels oddly heavy and...odd. I smelled the ocean as I left the house, and I live a good 8-10 miles away from the harbor. The wind is blowing this weird, heavy, wet air, that feels like the blast of steam that is released when you take the cover off a pot of boiling water. Several have mentioned that it's a change in 'barometric pressure,' and I'm no scientist, but I'll go along, if it explains the wonkiness that is Thursday, September 29, 2005.

But what IS it?

I was dreaming about high-pitched whistling type noises. Factory whistles, dog whistles, the sound a fork tine makes when scraped across a china plate (sends chills down my spine and reverberates in my fillings), squeaky bike brakes. Then I awoke to find it was my own nose. And now I have the feeling of cotton filling my head, even after my habitual 22oz. Dunkin Donuts coffee infusion. My husband was grinding his teeth all night long, making for a less-than-restful slumber, and my cats weren't all over me this morning, like they usually are. A bad wind is rising, something wicked this way comes.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON???

Oh, I remember now. The Red Sox have decided to call it a day on the 2005 season, that they're too anxious to get some golfing in to even TRY and win a playoff berth, and the evil Yankee gods are rejoicing. New England is under their thrall. That must be it.

Glad I figured that out.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Shife said...

Yes, they laid a big egg last night.

29 September, 2005 11:41  
Blogger Andraste said...

Yes, a big, rotten, stinky egg. And the sulfurous fumes are permeating my world.

29 September, 2005 11:51  
Blogger Mr. Shife said...

These guys are really into the pennant race!


Sorry, they had this on fark.com.

29 September, 2005 12:35  
Blogger Andraste said...

That's amazing! Thanks mrshife!

See? We CAN get along. Warms the heart.

Only thing I can't figure out is who won the bet and who lost.

29 September, 2005 12:51  
Blogger Mr. Shife said...

I believe the entire heterosexual male population lost the bet. It makes me cringe, but not as much as the ball washer.

29 September, 2005 13:57  
Blogger T. Leach said...

I don't want to talk about it. Sorry.

29 September, 2005 14:00  
Blogger LBseahag said...

Whoah....its happening out here in LA, too...yesterday we felt an earthquake and today it was 104 degrees..

God is using mothernature for his own Ashton Kutcher to punk us...

30 September, 2005 02:08  
Blogger Kristen said...

*weeps quietly*

I'm not sure I can go through this again.

Is it just me, or has this been the shortest season in the history of ever?

30 September, 2005 09:14  
Blogger Andraste said...

Seems the whole season will be crystallized into one three-game series, so in a sense, yes, this is the shortest season I've ever seen. Let's sacrifice a virgin to the baseball gods. I don't think we should take any chances.

30 September, 2005 11:10  

<< Home