Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Mesmerized



I think Poseidon, or maybe one of the lesser, fresh-water gods, is angry with us. First, the tsunami, then Katrina, then some California landslides (though why anyone would build a multi-million dollar home on the slope of a mud pile is beyond stupid, even for Californians)... Poseidon is the god of earthquakes, right? So it IS him, the cranky bastard.

I was sitting pretty smugly here in New England, where it's been safe and dry (despite a lot of rain, we've been drier than a lot of places, and while unpleasant, it's not DANGEROUS), thinking "Jeez...aren't we lucky we don't have to deal with these weather disasters here? I'll take all the snow nature can throw at us, as long as we don't have to deal with hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, earthquakes... Snow is easy. Get a shovel, some good boots, make sure the heating works, get a reliable snowplow guy, lay in lots of beer, comfort foods, videos and cocoa for the weekend...Bob's yer uncle."

But now, even certain parts of my beloved Massachusetts are in danger of being washed away by the rushing waters of Lake Sabbatia, above the 173-year-old Whittenton Pond Dam, which is about to splinter and burst. School has been cancelled in that area today, and homes below the dam have been evacuated. Maybe that's being overcautious, but it's better than watching another disaster take place this close to home.

One thing we don't need is to make the national news with this. Oh, and if the dam should break and we see a flood disaster here, send blankets.



On another note:

It's the same thing forever. But I can't take my eyes away. You can drag him if he gets stuck, and adjust the speed of gravity with your arrow keys. It's so simple, and yet I'm so entertained right now. It's the simple things in life, I guess.

Wooohooo!

8 Comments:

Blogger Toenex said...

Im not sure what the text is for 'manic clapping' but that's what I'm doing to the freefalling Dubya! It sooooooo pretty!

19 October, 2005 17:31  
Blogger Andraste said...

Welcome, anttoeknee! Yes, that held me in thrall for a good portion of the day. Sometimes you do need a little brain floss...

19 October, 2005 17:36  
Blogger Mr. Shife said...

Yes, indeed, you do need to floss that brain. Andraste, I am so nervous about the game tonight. Is this how you felt last year watching the ALCS?
Well, I hope Poseidon or whoever quits being a dick with the weather.

19 October, 2005 18:27  
Blogger Andraste said...

Last year was so bizarre, it's hard to put into words. I went from spiralling down to the slough of despond, to reaching the highest heights of pure joy, all in the timespan of the ALCS. I had completely given up on my team, tried to resolve not to watch. And then DAVE ROBERTS STOLE SECOND...and it was all good from there. I'm fairly certain that if they do an autopsy on me after I'm dead, they'll find the Red Sox logo burned into my stomach lining.

GO CARDS!!!

19 October, 2005 18:31  
Blogger El Barbudo said...

Another 3 hours wasted watching Dubya falling. Damn you Andraste!

20 October, 2005 05:49  
Blogger Andraste said...

I like it when he gets stuck and I have to use my mouse to move him. I like to squeeze him through the tiniest spots and feel somehow satisfied with myself if the little fictional rag doll is uncomfortable.

What can I say, it's a life of quiet desperation.

20 October, 2005 09:25  
Blogger T. Leach said...

Why bubbles, though? Barrels of oil would be funnier. Or dictionaries. Or little Madeleine Albrights. Or ...

20 October, 2005 09:51  
Blogger Andraste said...

Because that's a representation of the contents of his brain?

You got me.

20 October, 2005 12:40  

<< Home