Friday, June 29, 2007

BALLS!!

Two major complaints about Harvard Square:

1. You can't go outside to get a sandwich without being accosted by somebody asking you to give money or sign a petition. While I agree with many of the causes these people represent, I am so frigging tired of being stopped multiple times when I try to walk from my office to wherever I'm going for lunch, every SINGLE DAY, today I just snapped. The poor Greenpeace kid...I hope he realizes it wasn't personal. But I just want to be left alone. Is that SO WRONG?

2. On-line shopping and ridiculous rents have meant that three major record stores, and Wordsworth, my favorite bookstore, have all gone tits up in the last two years. Now if you want to buy a disc on your lunch break, you have to go to Newbury Comics - who are usually pretty good, but today? No love. I wanted to buy Nick Lowe's latest little treasure, "At My Age," and they only had two Nick discs in the shop. "The Convincer" and "Greatest Hits." I'm VERY disappointed. Nick deserves more shelf space than THAT! Respect the Basher! (Hint to SPOUSE - my Amazon wish list has been updated.) Also, at Newbury Comics, they tend to play industrial rock, at deafening levels. I may be getting old, but I'm pretty sure even in my younger days I'd have thought, "Dang. This music sucks."

Which reminds me of that old joke about what a deadhead says when he runs out of weed.


Remember, Dear ... wish list. Nick. You know the drill.

5 Comments:

Blogger fatmammycat said...

Well acursed chuggers aside, have a velly cracking weekend. I suppose you're going for booze. Sigh.

29 June, 2007 15:45  
Blogger Andraste said...

And cracking weekend to you, Cat!

I was just thinking about whether I should have some booze tonight. Today marks three weeks without coffee and FOUR weeks without booze.

I am torn. One hand - I feel so good, and don't really miss the hooch. Other hand - I lied, I kinda do miss the hooch maybe just a little bit. And I've got a stack of full bottles of nice wine, that won't empty themselves!

oh, and I have the next five days off.

What to do...what to do...

29 June, 2007 16:09  
Blogger Me said...

"Eff" giving up coffee, yo. You should never do that. Drink up son!

Happy weekend! I hope it is filled with rainbows, pretty ponies, and lots of pink elephants.

29 June, 2007 16:55  
Blogger Sassy Sundry said...

Harvard Square has become like the mall---with bums. It's so sad.

29 June, 2007 17:06  
Blogger onna monopia said...

The best thing you can do to those people out saving the world in HS is tweak them mercilessly. Have a little fun, I say.

I had one of those commie types accost me one morning on my way in to work with another co-worker (before you started working with me) waving a newspaper with the headline "Robbing the Poor to Give to the Rich."

Without breaking stride or exiting the conversation I was already in, I said to the frothing poli-sci major "Buddy, that is THE OLDEST NEWS ON THE PLANET", causing my co-worker to shriek with disbelieving laughter.

I watched the guy from the second floor later on--he tried to sell the newspaper flipped around to the back side all day. I wonder what he would have done if I pointed out to him that he was participating in bourgeois capitalism by SELLING the paper. Probably would have made his head explode.

02 July, 2007 14:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home