Friday, June 22, 2007

Serendipity and other shite.

I've been so quiet this week, and didn't really have anything to post about today, that I googled "Silence" and got this:





.................."Silence of the Forest" - Arnold Böcklin (1827 - 1901)


I like how the unicorn is not your average white, pure, cartoon unicorn, but looks more naturalistic, like a spotty, shaggy wee donkey, and an ill-tempered one at that. Like he's getting irritated with his rider, and is beginning to twitch and show signs that his woodland master is about to be bucked. Yessss....ees velly niiiice.

So...a random search to come up with something to write about introduced me to yet another painter with whom I was unfamiliar, and will now have to explore in depth. How did he escape my notice until now, I wonder? I love the Preraphaelite painters, and it seems his subject matter tends toward the mythical - which should have grabbed my attention long before now.

I just spent a lot of time HERE, looking at various pieces. I think that one called "War" would look great over the mantle piece in some great huge hall. Sadly, I have neither a great huge hall, nor a fireplace. But maybe in miniature, on the wall next to the toilet? And by that I mean absolutely no disrespect whatsoever. It would get a lot of viewing time there, lots of dedicated contemplation.

Oh well. Huzzah! It is Friday, and a beautiful one at that. If not for the constant jack-hammering outside my office window, it would be perfect.

Detox is still going well. I still miss the coffee, but it's more the ritual and taste that I miss, more than the physical effects. Which begs the question: Why not try decaf? Well, I put decaf in a category with non-alcoholic beer. Why bother? The booze I don't really miss all that much at all, though if I find myself in a pub or restaurant tonight, I may well reward myself for my three week abstinence with a glass of wine or a pint of something dark and luscious. I have to say, I'm giving serious thought to continuing the abstinence longer than the prescribed three weeks. Here's why:

1. My complexion looks better than it has since before puberty. Seriously. Clean, clear, smooth as a baby's arse - no blotches, no zits...I think even some wrinkles and laugh lines have gone into remission. And my jowls haven't looked this tight in a long, long time. Jowls, people - it's a facial feature, so no dirty jokes in the comments, if you please.

2. I may be losing weight. There's no way to quantify it, because I don't own a scale, but there have been subtle changes in the way my jeans fit, my stomach is flattening to pre-mid-life levels, and I think...yes...I THINK I am noticing less cellulite in the thigh area. Now - given that I haven't been able to do much working out because of the heel spur (just a few minutes on an exercise bike a few times a week), this is a huge, and unexpected bonus.

3. Yes, I know you were all waiting for the poo update. I don't want to gross anyone out, so I won't go into graphic detail. Let's just say - HEALTHY - and leave it at that.

4. Sleep. Just...pure, simple, restful, rejuvenating sleep. No getting up to pee in the middle of the night, no cotton mouth in the morning. I wake up, hit the snooze button ONCE, and I'm up without ANY self pity. Well, maybe a little, because this foot thing hurts worst in the morning, but once I do my stretches (as prescribed by the orthopedic doctor at the sports medicine office) and get in the shower, I'm laughing, and carrying on a full conversation with Olive, the cat who loves to talk to me while I'm in there. As if she's saying "Mommy!....MOMMMMMMYYYYY!!! - DON'T DROWN!!!! I'll be GOOD, I SWEAR!"

7 Comments:

Blogger Sassy Sundry said...

Sounds like everything is going great (except for the foot thing).

I think that picture would frighten the poo right out of me, which makes it perfect for the bathroom.

22 June, 2007 11:33  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

First time I ever had a mug of decaff, afterwards all I could think of was how much I REALLY wanted a coffee. My body tasted the familiar coffee taste then rebelled, screaming at me WHERE THE F***'s THE CAFFEINE!!!

Get yourself some fruit tea bags.

22 June, 2007 11:43  
Blogger Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

I haven't lucked into a decent blog for a while. Be reading you...

22 June, 2007 23:34  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Well done missus, you must be feeling very proud, as well as very healthy. That Olive is such a cutie. IS she still avoiding the others quite happily?

23 June, 2007 14:04  
Blogger Andraste said...

Sassy - yeah, I just love apocalyptic art, and I probably enjoy it because since I'm not religious in the least tiny bit, I find it amusing, rather than frightening.

Kim - Wish I liked tea - but I can only tolerate it when I'm sick. I'm better off with boiled water!

Mr. B&H - Welcome to the Pub! Thanks for commenting. I've had a look over at your blog and have been mightily amused - haven't commented yet, but I may end up being a regular. Anyone who lists Slapshot as their favorite movie is okay in my book.

FMC- That Olive is the one that's causing all the trouble. Hence the "I'll be good" stuff is ironic with her. She's the one who goes after the other two in a very aggressive manner - and then kisses up to Mommy and as you can see, she's so effing cute, we tolerate it. Luna is still upstairs - won't come down. Vinegar just swats back and goes about her business. She's my second in command.

23 June, 2007 17:24  
Blogger Fat Sparrow said...

Both caffeine and alcohol are very dehydrating, so it's no surprise that your skin is looking better.

And I hope your foot will fall in line with the rest of your body parts and shape the fuck up. Maybe if you concentrate really, really hard, and think happy thoughts, everything will be okay with it.

Oh wait, that only works for people who watch "Oprah" and buy "The Secret." Never mind.

24 June, 2007 06:52  
Blogger Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Cool link, like.

Kudos on the detoxing, baby!

26 June, 2007 17:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home