Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The obligatory update post


Weeeeeelllllll now. Been a while again since I updated. But I'm home today, and I'll tell you why:
Some miserable, festering little arsehole of a criminal wannabe broke into our house last week and now I'm home waiting for the home security company to come and install a home security system. I don't think the 'perp' was a pro, because all he took was SPOUSE'S iPod, though he walked past SPOUSE'S wallet at least once before going upstairs, and finding SPOUSE actually in, to his shock and dismay, left very quickly through the front door.


We think he saw me leave for work in the truck from the back driveway (yes, we have two driveways - I can tell you think we must be RICH BEYOND COMPARE), didn't realize that SPOUSE'S car was in the front driveway, and assumed the house was empty. OR, and here's the disturbing thing: he may have thought the male of the house was gone because I drive the truck, and maybe he'd hit upon a defenseless, sleepy female, all alone in the house after hubby'd gone to work. The Waltham Police, bless them, were here before SPOUSE was even off the phone with them reporting the break-in, and they said...get this...they said that there have been some break-ins in the area lately, with nothing taken. Now this doesn't frighten me so much as PISS ME OFF. Unless it's just vagrants, going around to empty houses, using the toilets and taking showers, then leaving without taking anything - what can a thief have in mind breaking into a house and not taking anything? Hmmmmm? I'd have killed the little bastard.


And I'm a bit bemused by it at the same time. If he went upstairs looking for jewelry, he'd have found a lot of junk, costumey stuff with skulls on them from my old punk days, and a novelty kids' watch or two. And, really, he would be welcome to it. Any jewelry I own that is worth anything, is on my finger, and it's insured. Everything we have that is worth stealing (and worth our reporting because of the deductible on our insurance) is too big to get out of here without the entire neighborhood descending upon the thief like a bunch of angry, poisonous gnats.

The neighbors, whom we have finally gotten to know thanks to this incident and one or two yard sales they've had in the past few weeks, are, if possible, as pissed off and freaked out as we are. "Hey, I've lived here 15 years and I've never heard of anything like this happening." Or "Yeah, that guy has been here 30 and he says he doesn't remember any break-ins at all." Which makes me feel wonderful. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Anyway, we're keeping an eye on some of the neighborhood teenagers, in case any of them are in sudden possession of a new iPod with some terrible music on it. Not that we suspect any of them specifically - they seem like your average, sullen, skateboarding teens. But isn't it sickening how your sense of trust can be destroyed, in an instant? It sickens me that we have to lock every window and door when we go out, and it sickens me that we have to have a security system installed so we can sleep at night.


The world sucks.

7 Comments:

Blogger fatmammycat said...

That is terrible news. Filthy little fucks. How creepy is it to consider some one in snooping about your house.
I shouldn't say this, but I'm glad it was only an iPod taken and that your hubby wasn't hurt or anything most horrible like that.
I hate thieves, they are scum of the earth.

18 July, 2007 11:19  
Blogger Sassy Sundry said...

That's scary, Andraste. What a little shit. Some kid broke into my friend's apartment (while she was home dead asleep) and stole all of her booze and then tried to steal her car (he couldn't drive stick). She got her booze back---with the evidence tags. She's saved the bottles.

18 July, 2007 11:23  
Blogger Andraste said...

FMC - Yes, we are grateful that all was taken is the iPod and that the kid ran when confronted. It could have been very, very ugly. In fact, we're kind of joking that the iPod has such crappy music in it, we're waiting for the kid to come back and return it!

Sassy - As scary as break ins can be, that story is hilarious! He couldn't drive stick! HEEEEE! And booze - now THERE'S something worth stealing!

18 July, 2007 12:01  
Blogger Betty Blog said...

Wow Andraste, that is fucked up. I hope they get the bastard! I'm freaked out at the thought they may have been expecting a female in there. I'm so sorry you are going through this.

18 July, 2007 14:30  
Blogger Fresh Hell said...

That sucks. He should have trolled my neighborhood. I went out last Saturday and didn't come home until Sunday (yeah, I'm a trollop... I mean... I don't drive drunk) to find that I'd left my back door wide open with the AC on. I might have been more upset about leaving the AC on. Some days I wonder how I manage to keep a job.

Good to hear that the Waltham police are Johnny on the spot. I hope they find the cretin.

19 July, 2007 15:47  
Blogger Amy said...

That sucks. At least your neighbors know to be on the lookout now.

19 July, 2007 15:56  
Blogger Student said...

Sorry that you got broken into. Crime can have an effect on how you feel about everything so as far as i am concerned if your chap had beaten the little bastard into a greasy stain then the world would have become a sunnier place.

i hope he listens to the ipod while walking and strolls in front of a lorry he can't hear.

Or that he get's caught and learns prison proctology from the f wing ron howard.

I hope you aren't too freaked out. It sounds like your bneighbours are on high alert now.

have a better day today

20 July, 2007 06:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home