Thursday, August 30, 2007

Eeeee .....Faaaaahhhhhk.


...So I brought my truck in to the Ford dealership this morning for a replacement on a recalled ABS part. Supposed to be a free repair. (That's my baby, there on the left, for those of you who tuned in after August of 2005. She's not as big as my brother's beast there on the right, but a truck that size would be extremely impractical in Boston, and for my purposes. So don't make fun, I chose her for parkability as much as anything else.)
My first ever automobile.

The excitement of owning which has definitely started to wane.
In addition to the free repair on the recalled ABS part, I asked them to do an oil change, and the kid said I was overdue for the 46 thousand mile check-up - a look at all the systems, brakes, fluids, rotate the tires, etc. Well, winter is coming and I'll need a new inspection sticker next month, so... cringing a little, I said, "Sure, why not, give it a full pre-winter check and tune-up."
I don't think I need to really go much further with the set up of this story before you guys will all know where it's heading. Right?
By the end of the day today, I will have spent two weeks' salary on parts and labor for new brakes, pads, a stabilizing rod (Whatever the FUCK that is), various and sundry other brake and alignment related items. In a few months, I'll spend probably at least that much for a brand new exhaust system and new tires.
Well, I guess I won't be quitting my side job anytime soon.
I love Ford trucks, but as long as my arse points south, I will never, NEVER own another Ranger. And probably never another USED one. Next up will be a new F-150, but that won't be until I'm so old and shrunken I need a stepladder to get in it, because by the time this bitch is done with all this new stuff, she'd better drive like a brand new automobile, and last at least as long as the pyramids.
Faaaaaahhhhhhkkkkkk.

4 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

I have owned a toyota since 1995. It has 231,000 miles on it and is still going strong. Fords and Chevys were meant to repair frequently.

Namaste.

30 August, 2007 19:42  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Ohh mechanics and their 'extras!!!' Don't get me started.
I drive a Ford and my mechanic laughingly likes to say-despite my car never breaking down- 'Ford, stands for Fix Or Repair Daily', or his other HILARIOUS ONE, 'Ford, Found On Road Dead.'
Oh my what a wit he is, that man, he's truly wasted in a garage.
I used to drive a toyota years ago, it was 1995 like Phil's, the girls I sold it to is still driving around in it and says it's the best jeep she's ever owned.
Each to their own I guess.

31 August, 2007 06:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you drive a truck?

31 August, 2007 09:42  
Blogger Andraste said...

Phil - saw a Tacoma this morning that was appealing, but given what I've put into this Ford, I'm gonna drive it into the ground before I even THINK about buying another vehicle.

FMC - turns out it wasn't 'extras' after all. The brakes really WERE about to go. Safety first!

Nonny - LOTS of reasons I drive a truck.
1. if you're going to be a two car family, one of them SHOULD be a truck, just for practical reasons. Sooner or later EVERYBODY needs to move a couch, at least once in their life
2. We save a lot of money on delivery charges when we buy furniture and appliances for the house, because we can pick it up and drive it home ourselves
3. I only started driving in my 30's and I still don't feel entirely safe on the road unless I'm a bit higher up and have greater visibility.
4. I've always just LOVED pick-up trucks.
4. It's NOT an SUV.

Thanks for playing!

31 August, 2007 10:19  

Post a Comment

<< Home