Friday, March 07, 2008

Don't think I won't cut a bitch.


So the greatest thing that's happened to me in a long time is that I got satellite radio in my truck. No longer do I have to choose between obnoxious DJ's (and their pandering to the bad tastes of the masses) and unwieldy and cluttersome CD's (which nobody wants me fiddling with in traffic anyway).

So far, I've got about six presets - The Verge, for new and emerging artists, Fungus for punk and ska, X Country for good alt country, WITHOUT nasty MOR post-9/11 country shit, a Latin station for a change of pace, some classical, etc. But the one station that I fell in love with right away is Fred, the "classic alternative" station. For the first few weeks, I was absolutely head over heels. It was like someone took my record collection, threw it in a blender, and pressed 'random play.'

Oh Fred, you knew my heart like no other - no, wait. Fred, you knew my heart like that morning guy Ty on WFNX in the late 80's. Now THAT guy had my number.

However, as with all things you fall in love with right away and then begin to notice they're not living up to their promise - like low fat ice cream, say - Fred is beginning to wear out its welcome. It's like it's being programmed by someone who wasn't really there when this stuff was new and cool, or got the entire playlist off of one of those lame top 40 compilations by Ronco.
They play WAY too much New Order - not NEARLY enough Joy Division.
WAY too much Love & Rockets - not NEARLY enough Bauhaus.

WAY too much General Public - not NEARLY enough English Beat.
WAY too much Big Audio Dynamite - not NEARLY enough Clash.

WAY too much Police, Depeche Mode, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tears for Fears, Devo - not NEARLY enough Buzzcocks, Jam, Madness, Pogues, Cocteau Twins, early Ramones, Sex Pistols, Siouxsie and the Banshees...
But the main point of this post is to say to the programmers at Fred, and I think I can safely say for just about every member of my generation:

NOBODY WANTS TO FUCKING HEAR 'LOVE SHACK' AGAIN. EVER.

One last giggle on a Friday afternoon. I thought Medbh would get a rise out of this:


9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That WAS sidesplitting, but I think you spend too much time on Utube...

07 March, 2008 15:48  
Blogger Andraste said...

Oh shutty. I haven't put up a YouTube since December.

07 March, 2008 15:54  
Blogger Twenty Major said...

NOBODY WANTS TO FUCKING HEAR 'LOVE SHACK' AGAIN. EVER.

So very, very true.

08 March, 2008 07:55  
Blogger Xul said...

And not nearly enough Concrete Blonde and Echo and the Bunnymen.

08 March, 2008 21:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever heard The Cocteau Twins on any radio station. The way you write it, it sounds that, although there's not enough, they've played it them least once and that makes them worth checking out. And just 'cso they're called Fred.

I don't see a satellite radio in my future very soon though, I'm afraid.

10 March, 2008 01:54  
Blogger MikeP said...

I don't have time to surf all through YouTube for such gems, so I consider it an enormous public service.

I now know two things to beware of: Fred's Love Shack obsession and educated women.

10 March, 2008 13:04  
Blogger Megan McGurk said...

Haaaaaaaheeeee!
I could also cut a bitch when I hear that fucking song, Andraste. It's beyond lame.
I never cared for them other than "Rock Lobster" anyway.

Fred sounds like a treat though.

11 March, 2008 11:14  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

A-fucking- men, and can I add a Shiny Happy People to that?

11 March, 2008 16:03  
Blogger Nora said...

I like Lucy and Ethel, but after a while even they cease to surprise me. I think its safe to say that the XM d-jays eventually get to the point where they give you the right genre but the wrong songs.

12 March, 2008 08:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home