Friday, May 29, 2009

...hangs out in the back yard...eats a lot of berries...

...drinks a lot of wine...reads a lot of books...

This is my Sunday perch. The wine is a very crisp, citrussy Pinot Grigio. Don't normally like white wine, but if it's not chardonnay (bleugh) and is crisp and cold enough, it can be a nice palate cleanser on a hot day, especially if you've had a lot of beer the night before and you're too bloaty and farty for more hops. The novella (On Chesil Beach, by Ian McEwan) took me about a half the afternoon last Sunday, from start to finish. A well-written, engaging, quick novel also works as a palate cleanser between all the science and politics. But I have to stop feeling like I'm wasting my time when I read fiction. You CAN learn something from it, after all, even if it's just a little bit about how a good author thinks.

I think I'd like to be friends with Ian McEwan.




This picture was taken in the late afternoon, when the sun was behind a huge oak tree. Mostly that spot gets full sun. I must be careful or I will burst into flame. You can see some of my potted vegetables in the back there, and those pipey looking things are the base of a hammock we got as a wedding present, and is SPOUSE'S Sunday perch, where he drinks beer and listens to baseball on the radio.

We are living the motherfucking dream.


7 Comments:

Blogger Megan McGurk said...

Don't you love rubbing your toes in the chilled grass sitting in the shade. It's divine.
Your weekend spot is full on fab, Andraste.
All we have are two wooden decks that I can't use because they're in full sun.

29 May, 2009 20:44  
Blogger Andraste said...

It IS divine, Medbh - but I'd be lying if I said it was grass. WE haven't figured out the grass thing yet and it's more weeds and bald patches and bugs than real, toe rubbing bliss. We'll figure it out though - it's a 30 year mortgage!

29 May, 2009 20:56  
Blogger Mommy Needs a Xanax said...

You ARE living the motherfucking dream. I want to come up there and go to a baseball game with some hardcore baseball fans.

I read Saturday and Atonement, and liked them both. Maybe I'll try On Chesil Beach. I tried to read The Innocent but didn't get into it, so I quit reading. I'm not a "may as well see it through" reader. If it's still boring and I'm 50 or 75 pages in, I throw it across the room.

I'm drawn to non-fiction when choosing something to read, but when I do read fiction I usually finish it quickly and then wonder why I don't read more.

And of course you can learn from reading fiction. You pick up tidbits and insights about all sorts of things.

30 May, 2009 17:21  
Blogger Andraste said...

Anytime you make it up to Boston, Ann, you just give me a shout - we'll take you to a game and you can see what absolute lunatics Boston fans are.

It's amazing - I've been to other cities where the baseball is good, but you can't fill a stadium. Toronto - walk up to the gate two hours before a game, and get GREAT seats, and it's inexpensive! Can't do that in Boston - the games are sold out MONTHS in advance and if you want a good seat, that'll cost your first born. And the air is CHARGED, man.

31 May, 2009 14:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

* pats belly from BBQ the paramour made earlier, rubs BBQ sauce smeared cat, concurs with Boston friend*

31 May, 2009 16:00  
Blogger Andraste said...

Afternoon, FMC - what is it over there, about 11PM? We're just inside because of a passing shower - I DO hope we get some thunder and lightning. Found Grosse Point Blank on the TV and contemplating some chinese leftovers for dinner because there won't be any grilling if the rain doesn't move off soon. No worries for me - I LOVES me some chinese leftovers. Scallion pancakes and ginger sauce? Are you KIDDING? Life is good.

31 May, 2009 16:58  
Blogger laughykate said...

I know you love winter, but come on, summer does have an upside, yes?

*slowly turns a vague shade of green which clashes with outfit*

02 June, 2009 04:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home