Tuesday, November 01, 2005

boredboredboredboredboredboredbored


Noticed something about our trick-or-treaters last night. For the first hour, the age ranged from 1 to 4 years old. The first person to show up at our door was a young mother, carrying her infant, in a pumpkin costume. No other kids, just this woman carrying a baby who won't remember this Halloween, and wasn't enjoying it at all.

My question is this: If the kid is too young to:


A- understand what's going on
B- remember what's going on
C- eat candy...

Then what's the fucking point of spending the money on a costume, and dragging the kid out? It's one thing if you've got older kids to chaperone, and don't want to leave the baby at home. It's also another thing if it's one of those neighborhoods where everyone knows you and you want to just socialize and show off the baby.

Is it just me who thinks this is odd?

One cute story about the little halflings last night. At one point I was watching TV and didn't hear them when they knocked, but noticed two little Darth Vader faces staring in our hall window. One of my cats, a big, beautiful, green-eyed, epitome of a Halloween-black-cat, was sitting on the floor, staring up at the two little Darths...they must have been twins. When I went over to open the door and give them their candy, they were all over the concept that I happened to have a black cat on Halloween night, and that she was staring at them with her spooky green eyes.


So I told them that I was a witch and that Luna was my familiar and that she'd chosen them, out of ALLLLL the trick-or-treaters we had, for me to lock in our basement, fatten up, and eat for Sunday dinner.


So that was fun.

14 Comments:

Blogger Dr Maroon said...

Are you saying you had never seen this woman before? Or are you going to let bygones be bygones and in front of all these nosey people here today, admit that you have a sister and a beautiful niece? Life's too short.

01 November, 2005 15:50  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Remember when we actually made our costumes out of plastic bin bags, duct tape and what ever scraps of material out mothers did not mind us tearing up? That was half the fun. Now parents go buy everything, sort of takes the good out of it a little, or maybe I'm being overly sentimental. I am having one of those days.

01 November, 2005 16:03  
Blogger Andraste said...

Dr. - no, I have never seen this woman before. I have no nieces. That I know of. I said "Any of this candy appropriate for a kid so small?" She said, "No, But I like Snickers, so I'll just take this for me." Jesus! If she'd tried to take the Heath, she'd have had to fight for it.

FMC- I'm with you. Most of my best costumes came together last minute, from whatever was lying around. Brother's hand-me-downs with a fake beard, instant hobo. Put a dress on the dog and go. Though when I was very small, I did have some fairy princess costumes my mother would always insist on covering up with a winter coat because this was Maine, after all. Ruined the whole thing.

01 November, 2005 16:20  
Blogger T. Leach said...

That was obviously the kids first Halloween, so the mother decided that she had to take him/her around and document it with pictures. I went through this with my wife and first child. Had to capture every freakin' moment. Our third has bever been photographed. That's just the way it is.

01 November, 2005 16:20  
Blogger Andraste said...

t.leach - so true. I'm the youngest of 7. Photographic evidence of my childhood is scarce. Too bad, because I was the cutest of the lot. And no, I'm not kidding.

01 November, 2005 16:35  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

The whole point of taking a baby round is for the mother to stock up on her own candy. You might be a realist and see right through her ploy, but most people lose the function of the left side of their brain as soon as they see a baby. Therefore she will massively increase her candy stocks.

The only question then is whether she will pass this candy on to all the trick or treaters knocking at her door, or whether she will consume the whole lot in a an act of self loathing post natal depression.

02 November, 2005 05:34  
Blogger the anti-barney said...

Children need to be protected from
all this consumerism,which is why I
never told my eldest about Birthdays or Christmas till she was
eight,I saved a bundle.

02 November, 2005 09:10  
Blogger Andraste said...

Completely agree, AB. I once went to a child's birthday party where they had pony rides...for a three year old. THREE YEARS OLD and he was expected: not to be scared shitless of the ponies, have fun, and remember it four days later. Jesus...how much did that cost??!!

Kim- oddly, the sight of babies has no such effect on me. I can't even remember what it looked like. I just know the mother didn't take my Heath bars, or I would have chewed her arm off. And that's pretty much it.

02 November, 2005 09:57  
Blogger Brewski said...

Luna sounds like a wicked cat. That's the British 'wicked' meaning 'the business', 'boss', 'bee's knees', etc. ,not the spooky one. That's the sort of thing you remember as a halfling - a mysterious woman on Halloween with a beautiful black cat, who gave you all that shite about being a witch.

02 November, 2005 10:03  
Blogger Andraste said...

Luna is the balls. And has the sweetest disposition of any animal I've ever owned. Soft as velvet, sweet as candy. All she wants to do is cuddle. And she's got the coolest paws. HUGE mitts, with an extra toe, so it looks like she's wearing mittens. I love that creature. More than beer.

02 November, 2005 11:44  
Blogger LindyK said...

More than beer?! Wow, now that's devotion for you...

02 November, 2005 12:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My reproducing friends tell me the fun of taking an infant trick-or-treating is:
A. You can dress them up however you want
B. You get to eat all their candy

and, they don't admit this, but I'm sure there's also
C. They get perfect strangers ooing and awwing about how cute their kiddo is

And on another note, when are you letting the kids OUT of the basement?
G

03 November, 2005 17:33  
Blogger Rachel Croucher said...

I had friends over for a barbecue on Halloween and one of them ran to the door to give the kiddies cold sausages... t'was hilarious

04 November, 2005 03:30  
Blogger Andraste said...

One of them is wasting away, while the other is fattening up nicely. Is suspect there's an "alpha" twin and a "beta" and the "alpha" is grabbing all the food. It's a study in dominant/subordinate behavior in twins...maybe I'll keep them around a little longer, see if I can get a grant to study this further.

04 November, 2005 09:14  

<< Home