Friday, November 11, 2005

So much better on holiday.

First and foremost...fucking YAY!!! The Plough and Stars will reopen! All is once again right with the world!

After being shut down because of a noise complaint, by someone who could NOT have been living in the neighborhood before the place opened, and an ownership change, and new sound proofing...a Cambridge institution is back in business. HUZZAH!!!!

Can you imagine moving into a neighborhood, knowing that there is a very loud pub RIGHT THERE, has been there forever, and is a local institution for a good pour and live music...and THEN complaining about the noise and getting the place shut down? What kind of asshole does that? I don't move next to a highway and complain about traffic, do I? You should know what you're getting into when you move into an apartment next to a fucking bar. If you don't like that kind of noise, look in a different neighborhood. Jackass.

Okay, secondly, I'm not at work today, so there won't be one of those drinking countdowns that I usually have on Fridays. (I just love the academic calendar, and having these holidays off. For those of you who missed it, today is Veteran's Day.)

I am home, imbibing coffee #1, contemplating my next move. I've got a kitten on my lap, so I'm typing with one hand, a skill I've developed over the last year or so. (Almost up to regular speed!) The workout is done, a good 5o minutes aerobically, some weights, squats, lunges, and crunches.

By the time cocktail hour rolls around, groceries will be done, the apartment will be spotless, and I will have done some freelance work that will allow me to invoice out enough for this month's truck payment, and leave the weekend free of any work unpleasantness.

Right...what's everybody reading?

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am currently reading the publishers rejection slips of
"Suburban Smolensk on Sunday Morning: a novel" - which was written by me.

11 November, 2005 12:14  
Blogger LindyK said...

I'm re-reading Wuthering Heights, and just started Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt... both wonderful... but at least my books aren't quite as tough as Stephen's reading material!

11 November, 2005 13:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. But neither are actually as tough to read as my "Suburban Smolensk on Sunday Afternoon: a novel"
It's mind-bendingly boring.

11 November, 2005 13:35  
Blogger Father of 3 said...

I am reading about my FIRST-PLACE NEW YORK RANGERS. (It's been a while since those letters have all been placed together in that order.) Enjoy your weekend.

11 November, 2005 13:41  
Blogger LindyK said...

Mind-bendingly boring? I thought that term was only applicable to Melville and Chaucer...

11 November, 2005 13:58  
Blogger Brewski said...

I'm reading Necromancer again, for the first time since 1986. As with the Holy Spirits (whiskey, tequila, vodka ad infinitum and the other myriad fruits of the Earth), with books we have our own relationships. As you can probably tell, this evening I've become quite intimate with the one they call 'beer', but which I call 'Manna'. Have a wicked weekend all. Squeeze the juice.

11 November, 2005 14:01  
Blogger El Barbudo said...

I'm reading the comments on this blog posting - duh!

11 November, 2005 14:36  
Blogger Mr. Shife said...

I am reading "The Trudeau Vector." It is OK, it hasn't really grabbed me yet. Good news about your pub, and sounds like your weekend is off to a great start.

11 November, 2005 15:17  
Blogger LBseahag said...

You get too many days off a year...
I am gonna protest...

Are banks closed today or Monday?

11 November, 2005 16:25  
Blogger Anna said...

I just read The Red Tent. Loved it!

13 November, 2005 09:23  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I'm reading the Sunday Times review section. Mostly because it is Sunday and I am hungover.

13 November, 2005 16:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Black Book of Communism by assorted authors, The Letters of Abelard and Eloise & Nina Balatka by Anthony Trollope... the first two I have been picking up and leaving for a few months, the second one I just began a couple of weeks ago

And something similar happened to one of my favourite pubs in Melbourne, The Lemon Tree. This pub had been around for decades, my mother remembers it from the early seventies, and the suburb it is in started to go upmarket and then all these toffy dickheads who started moving in started complaining about the noise and it's been shut for just over two years. It's only one block away from a huge University and all these new residents are complaining about the noise. Here's a thought, if you don't like noise don't move into a house next to a pub in a busy university suburb

13 November, 2005 21:32  

<< Home