Friday, June 09, 2006

Comfort food, comforting drinks...It's Friday, and I've worked hard this week, so I'll drink what I like.


Terribly original, I know. "Oh, God," you say, "Andraste's got a picture of a Guinness on her blog, for like, the tenth time since she started to blog. Ho hum."

But listen, it's the end of another shitty, rainy, cold, busy week here in the hub. And Guinness is definitely the top choice on days like this.

It's June, might as well be April. And I'm taking comfort in the familiar, and in things that warm and soften my cold, hard little soul.

Also, this website is comforting. Fucking CUTE hedgehog, man. I think I want one. I would call him...Hal, or Bob...or NORMAN.

Here are five little things that I find comfort in, in this crazy world. Five things that are relatively small, but somehow have the ability to make me say "life's really not that bad, is it."

1. Clean bedsheets.
2. Finding a clean public restroom while traveling, and before I'm desperate.
3. Waking to find my big black cat, Luna, with her beautiful button face on my shoulder, and hearing that purr.
4. Local Hero.
5. Cheese.

Fuck, I'm wistful now.

To the vicious old cow who was protesting something or other in Harvard Square yesterday, who told me I should be ashamed of myself because of where I work..."Bite my ass, you miserable, judgmental old bitch. You don't know me, my belief system, how much good the people I work with and for actually DO in the world. Take a good long look at yourself, and your own sense of privilege and entitlement. Also...Get a job."

I'm melting...meeellllttttiiiinnnnnggggg....

You curs-ed brat!


5 Comments:

Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Most of the things I took comfort in were edible. Since I've not been going down that route for 16 months or so, I'm returning to a healthy weight.

09 June, 2006 12:55  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Why was the loony complaining about where you work? Why the fuck are loonies so bloody vocal anyhow, why can't we have quiet loonies that stay home and knit?
Have a good Weekend Missus, I've just borken the seal on a bottle of Vermouth.

09 June, 2006 16:20  
Blogger Andraste said...

Oh FMC, I have no idea. She was on about Palestine, and believe me, I have a lot of opinions on that, which don't paint either side as the MORAL winner or loser. But you know, blah, blah, blah, Major university, blah, blah, blah, supporting one side or the other, blah, blah, blah, perceived allegiences...and to just lump 20,000 people (administration, students, employees) with the same label just pisses me off.

Have a lovely weekend yourself, doll.

Kim - I'm sure that now there are non-food items that give you comfort. Your lovely family, for one! So...clearly you've made healthier choices for your sources of comfort. And you are an example to us all.

I'm just in from a lovely post-work stop at a local shitty chain restaurant for beers and appetizers. I think I'll be ringing the local Chinese takeout place for some "Island tofu" in a moment. Don't scoff. It comes in a black bean sauce with Plllllenty of garlic and broccoli, mushrooms and snow peas. It's green, it's healthy, and by the time it's here, the ballgame will be on, and I'll have a large adult-flavored-beverage in front of me.

HUZZAH!

09 June, 2006 18:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since when do you eat cheeze?! Nice to know that some things about Havard's lovely "mall" never change...there's always someone useless protesting something.

enjoy yr weekend,

09 June, 2006 19:35  
Blogger Andraste said...

Sare- DAHLING. I've always eaten cheese. And Cheeze, and 'processed cheese food product.' Ne'er met one I didn't like.

IT's why I'm not svelt.

Saw C and K the other night at G's party. She's high-larious!

09 June, 2006 21:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home