Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Toys for masochists

Years of working in shipping/receiving, lifting things that were probably too heavy for my small frame, and lower back - or lifting them wrong - have basically ruined my back for any kind of abdominal exercises. I literally cannot do any kind of sit-up or crunch - or at least not more than two or three before my lower back says, "Hey now, fucking stop this RIGHT NOW or end up in traction. I said STOP."

However, I have finally found a simple ab exercise that doesn't murder the lower back and bring me to tears. Meet my little friend, the ab wheel. Looks innocent enough, non? Don't let it fool you. This is an instrument of torture that would have given Urgha, Inquisition Torturer, kitten killer, and all-around bastard a righteous stiffy. But it is an instrument of torture for the abs, upper arms, and shoulders. To the lower back, nothing much at all. For all I know, as a bonus, it may even help strengthen the lower back and build core strength.


However - if the instructions say "do 7 reps" - DO NOT under ANY circumstances, do 14 of them, smartass.

Whimper.

That is all.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My back is shot too, mainly from lifting the girls and putting them in and out of car-seats and stuff at funny angles.

I might give this a go. How much of my growing-more-and-more-worthless dollars will it set me back?

26 March, 2008 18:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Course it's not from lifting the girls, it's from lifting the girls badly, because I'm too lazy and idiotic to lift them correctly.

26 March, 2008 18:35  
Blogger Andraste said...

These are VERY inexpensive, Sam. I got mine in the toy/sports/exercise section of Marshall's for under $10. It's really nothing more than a pipe and a couple of wheels.

26 March, 2008 18:40  
Blogger MikeP said...

So you're doing infomercials on your blog now?

27 March, 2008 11:22  
Blogger Andraste said...

Nobody likes a smartarse, Mike.

27 March, 2008 12:06  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

My comment? Where it be?

27 March, 2008 15:09  
Blogger Andraste said...

Never saw it, Darling Feline. Blogger being a c*nt again and eat it?

27 March, 2008 15:27  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Indeed! Not that it was terribly important, I was just pulling your leg asking what kind of make up you apply before that kind of workout.

28 March, 2008 10:33  
Blogger Andraste said...

Make-up? Oh dear. I'm lucky if I've brushed my teeth.

28 March, 2008 11:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home